The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to try to split my Levemir? LOL.

Like my body does not have enough to contend with with the time change? I was trying to go to sleep at 7:30 last evening, but I had a shot scheduled for 8:30! I split the difference and managed to wait until 8:00.

Woke at 1:30 am to a false low (95), too. We won't talk about that spaghetti squash, or the correction that had to follow it ... :eek:

I am now trying 8 in the evening and 2 in the morning, as a split from my 10 at night. Doc had recommended 7 / 3 split. This is interesting, since I am now running LOW. When I tried the 7 / 3 a few months back, I ran a higher basal all day -- like 110 -120 -- so I gave up. Now, this time, splitting it seems to be working. Though I may need to change my evening carb consumption ... :p

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I guess when we get 'used to it' - the time change will be ok......but for right now I don't much like it.

Regarding splitting levemir doses - a number of people I know split their doses 12 hours apart approximately.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It always take me a week or so to get my body clock back on a good schedule. We were travelling this weekend. So not only were we dealing with a different time zone but the change to Standard time to boot. We had an early morning flight out Sunday morning. We had planned on getting up around 5am. My husband woke up at what he thought was 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. So I got up, got showered, brushed my teeth and took my meds. I then went into the family room and looked on the Cable box to see it was 3:45 not 4:45. So we just stayed up and waited 75 minutes for our ride to the Airport. I am still trying to catch up on sleep. My bgs this morning were 25 points higher than yesterday. Who knows what tomorrow will be.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strawberry, I had tried before to split it, but it just made me run high all day, and hungry! So I am trying it, once more. If this won't work, I might try Lantus.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It always take me a week or so to get my body clock back on a good schedule. We were travelling this weekend. So not only were we dealing with a different time zone but the change to Standard time to boot. We had an early morning flight out Sunday morning. We had planned on getting up around 5am. My husband woke up at what he thought was 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. So I got up, got showered, brushed my teeth and took my meds. I then went into the family room and looked on the Cable box to see it was 3:45 not 4:45. So we just stayed up and waited 75 minutes for our ride to the Airport. I am still trying to catch up on sleep. My bgs this morning were 25 points higher than yesterday. Who knows what tomorrow will be.
Oh my...I can understand why you feel stressed out a bit. Diabetes is hard enough to manage in my opinion, and then add time changes and different time zones on top of that. Sounds like you could use a vacation in a nice warm place for about a week ???

Reactions: foxl and jwags

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Strawberry, I had tried before to split it, but it just made me run high all day, and hungry! So I am trying it, once more. If this won't work, I might try Lantus.
Will your Doctor be agreeable to you trying Lantus? On another forum the people there seem to feel that with Levemir they required more basal insulin than they did when they switched to Lantus. I've also read on the same forum that they feel that an increase in their daily dose of Lantus seemed to take about 2-3 days before it showed in their daily BG.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you're already messed up with CST, you may as well get ALL the mess over with. I hate the time changes. There was a time when I was deluded that it wouldn't bother me once we both got retired - time wouldn't matter, I never even wear a watch anymore. Well . . . it still bothers me! We go around here disoriented for several days. Bah.

... to try to split my Levemir? LOL.

Like my body does not have enough to contend with with the time change? I was trying to go to sleep at 7:30 last evening, but I had a shot scheduled for 8:30! I split the difference and managed to wait until 8:00.

Woke at 1:30 am to a false low (95), too. We won't talk about that spaghetti squash, or the correction that had to follow it ... :eek:

I am now trying 8 in the evening and 2 in the morning, as a split from my 10 at night. Doc had recommended 7 / 3 split. This is interesting, since I am now running LOW. When I tried the 7 / 3 a few months back, I ran a higher basal all day -- like 110 -120 -- so I gave up. Now, this time, splitting it seems to be working. Though I may need to change my evening carb consumption ... :p

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I know the extra hour does make a difference in my bgs. So when I now get up at 6:30 and test it is really 7:30 and that extra hour does affect my bgs. I normally take 2 doses of metformin in the morning one at 6:30 am and one at 10:30 am. I have had to take that 2nd dose around 9:00-9:30 to avoid big spikes late morning.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
This time change makes me want to crawl in a hole and sleep for 24 hours. I think it will take me about 3 weeks to get straightened around. In addition I feel more grumpy than usual :(

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me too! Grump.

I probably can try lantus, but people had negative things to say about hypos and weight gain from it, so if I do not have to, I druther not!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Me too! Grump.

I probably can try lantus, but people had negative things to say about hypos and weight gain from it, so if I do not have to, I druther not!
Hmmm, I'm well acquainted with both hypos and weight gain from Lantus. Do you suppose that an Endocrinologist or a CDE would have any other ideas to help with your problem? It is frustrating :(

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i do NOT like it getting dark at 5pm!

can't do yard work int he dark lol

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well ... since I went low at 1 am the night before, last night I got up at midnight and tested ... 124!?! about 15 pts higher than when I injected my 8 U Lev, 4 hr earlier. Tooo weird! WTH -- will keep on, one more night and then maybe rethink -- then I woke at 99 this morning ... so not sure I'd want to increase my night dose! Yes, I know, in theory those are almost the same BG value ... but???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts