The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went back home for Christmas and while we were there we went to our old small town Dr (a friend of mine). His office was only open 1/2 a day on Friday so when he came in I said "I know y'all are leaving early today so I will talk fast." He said he wasn't worried about it we could take all the time we needed then he spent an hour in the room with us. He is like all the other Dr's I have read about on this forum. I told him my husband was on Glyburide and I didn't want him on it. I said we wanted metformin only if possible. The reason my husband was put on Glyburide was because of his morning fast numbers. The Dr said we could try it if we wanted but high doses of metformin make a lot of people sick. Then like all the other Dr's he said All Diabetics need to be on 3 meds 1) for diabetes 2) blood pressure 3) statin to which I just shook my head and started crying. I told him I don't know what it is about the statin but I have read people try to avoid it I need to research it. He then told me that he himself takes statin and has blood work done to make sure there is no damage to his liver but I could research all I want it's not something that hubby needs right away. Ok so we leave the Dr with no change in meds for now. Now the exciting part. All weekend hubby's BG has run between 72-113. When he hit a 76 I told him just to take one metformin in the morning and one at night (he had some left from when first DX). Well he has been taking only metformin for 3 days and readings are between 72-113 WHOO HOO. Hope the readings keep going good. I haven't been able to get him to start his exercise yet but I will be sure to tell him if he don't exercise he will probably wind back up on Glyburide.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Donella, how long has hubby been taking the Metformin again? Did he just start? Metformin will usually take a little while to build up in the system before it is working to its full potential. It could be the glyburide that is lowering his numbers. Is he still taking it? Many times metformin in combination with glyburide will give very good results. It could be that hubby's pancreas is still working and the glyburide is helping it to produce more insulin along with the metformin that is allowing the liver to function better. Both those drugs work on different organs.

Keep us posted. Great numbers however!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On November 29th my husband was Dx and given metformin 500 once a day by a PA. He went for a follow up (this time by the internal med dr) On Dec 13th. At this time they put him on Glyburide-Metformin 500 twice a day. On Dec 23rd we went to our old home town dr who left him on the same meds but said he could try the metformin if we wanted to so on the 24th he switched to metformin 500 twice a day and so far so good. So I called for a script of metformin. He is eating very low carb high fat and I think that alone has helped him on his BG a lot thanks to all that I have learned on this forum so far ;)

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Woot! Great news!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember my doctor said the exact same thing about statins. He said all his doctor friends take it. So I went on it and it almost killed me. I also take the maximum dose of metformin and don't have a problem with it. As said above metformin usually builds up slowly in the blood over several weeks. I bet you his good numbers are from the LC diet. I know over the holidays I was away from home and ate more carbs than usual and even on 2550 of metformin my bgs jumped 50 points. So low carb is important for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts