The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 6 week follow up with my doctor today. Everything seemed to be going well. Vitals were good.. The weight went down some..

The doc visit was pretty routine. My only concern was that he was pushing me to add on a med. in place of amaryl he wants me to start on byretta or victzoga? Not sure if I spelled those right. He said the benefits are that my sugars would drop quicker after meals n there's a weight loss benefit.

I wasn't sure as to why he wanted the change if my sugars were averaging 123 for three weeks.

I asked him if we could hold off for now. Checking price w my insurance and I also wanted to ask anyone on this forum for advice/ if you've had experience w these Meds.

Any info is much appreciated!

-Jen

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If it was me, I would try to avoid taking Byetta and Victoza (and also Amaryl) since they all stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, which could cause the pancreas to wear out faster. What that means is people who take those meds might eventually have to end up going on insulin. I know you were having trouble taking Metformin, did you try the extended release? That seems to be easier to tolerate in some cases, and most consider it to be the safest diabetic medicine out there.

If you could go with Metformin and diet only, by cutting way down on carbs, that would be great. But for some people, Metformin isn't enough for them and they have to take another medicine with it. How many carbs are you eating per day/meal?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gizmo said:
If it was me, I would try to avoid taking Byetta and Victoza (and also Amaryl) since they all stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, which could cause the pancreas to wear out faster. What that means is people who take those meds might eventually have to end up going on insulin. I know you were having trouble taking Metformin, did you try the extended release? That seems to be easier to tolerate in some cases, and most consider it to be the safest diabetic medicine out there.

If you could go with Metformin and diet only, by cutting way down on carbs, that would be great. But for some people, Metformin isn't enough for them and they have to take another medicine with it. How many carbs are you eating per day/meal?
Hi Gizmo! Right now I'm taking 2mg of Amaryl in the morning and 1000mg of Glumetza x 2 a day. Metformin was pretty hard on me. This one still has side effects not as bad as before but still pretty uncomfortable.

I'm trying to either not consume any carbs but if I do I'm trying I limit to maybe 30-45g a day. I've been pretty good about keeping them out of my diet.

Thank you for the advice. I was pretty confused as to why the doc would want me to start on something else if he said I was doing pretty good. I thought 123 avg on bg was not half bad considering when I started the avg was at 250.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You're right, 123 is good since you started at 250. Only you can decide what medicine you are willing to take. Who knows, if you keep eating low carb and get your bg low enough to suit your doctor, he might lighten up on the meds. Keep up the good work.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
have you seen an endo yet? if not i recommend it. in the meantime, lower those carbs and see your numbers drop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts