The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only got 8 weeks to go, well maybe 10, but I'm afraid these last two months are going to be the hardest. My numbers were really low for a good month and I was so pleased... we're talking 70-90 range after meals. Now, over the past two weeks, they've been creeping up. Fasting is in the 80s... but if I eat all my allotted carbs, I'm hitting the 120s after 2 hours, where it used to be 30-50pts less. So, I'm cutting back the carbs, leaving off a serving or two with each meal...but I am so hungry lately. I know part of it is pregnancy and part of it is backing off the carbs. I feel like all day I'm just waiting for 2 hours to pass so I can eat again, distracting myself so I don't feel the hunger.

I don't restrict fat, and eat lots of cheese and bacon, 4 servings of veg every day... something like 11 servings of protein...

I feel like I'm going to start binging at any moment.

Usually my dinner consists of 2 carbs, 4 protein, 2 veg, 1 fruit, 1 milk... last night I had 1/2 cup of brown rice, 4oz meat, 1 cup steamed broccoli, and 8oz of milk, and got a 110...if I'd had the 2/3 cup rice and fruit and milk that I'm allotted, it would have put me over for sure.

So now I'm wondering if I just need to suck it up and see if we should up my meds... or if I can muscle through this. Do I just need to start eating even more fat, protein, and veg and eat constantly to avoid this hunger? And if I'm cutting out carbs, which ones should I cut first? Milk and fruit? If I'm eating plenty of cheese and taking extra Vitamin D, then by skipping milk, I'm not losing any nutrients. And fruit? If I'm eating 4 servings of veg, I'm getting enough fiber and nutrients there, right? I know I don't "need" carbs... but I have to have some or else I crash, and it was only when I started cutting back that I started getting so hungry.

I know you guys aren't pregnant... but I'd love any insight.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but I see that your signature says you've lost 20 lbs. this pregnancy. Could your unusual hunger be the result? Perhaps your body is thoroughly confused, trying to correct a problem that may not exist.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's fairly common for pregnant women with diabetes or gestational diabetes to not gain weight or to lose weight while doing the "diet" and keeping blood sugar in check. I have it to lose... starting at 295 and am now 275... after the baby is born I will drop another 15-20lbs just from the baby/fluid/placenta... so it's more like 35-40lbs "lost."

But, maybe my body is confused.

I gained 6lbs from 25-29 weeks, then lost it back by 31wks.

I'm sitting on 128 one hour after 8 crackers and 2oz cheese, but my stomach is still growling. I'm afraid to eat till I'm full b/c I don't want my number to be too high.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Progesterone makes you hungry as hell!!! Hang in there. I hear later pregnancy is easier, that way -- calories have more places to go. :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It looks to me like you have milk pretty well covered, so maybe dropping that off the menu would have less impact nutrition-wise . . . prob'ly the same with fruit, for the time being. Don't be afraid to add a few bites more protein - it'll help with satiety. It's possible that ingesting carbs like the brown rice, crackers, etc., is causing carb craving . . . it sure does that to me. Just be sure when you drop off a few portions of carb that you don't just go without - replace those portions with protein/fat.

Hey Stephanie? Do you make cheese crisps? A handful of these can squelch my munchies & there are just no repercussions - it's pure cheese with the fat rendered out & they crunch at least as much as any chip or cracker! Deviled eggs are a wonderful thing to have made up in the fridge too . . . 'cept I haven't figured out how to keep DH out of 'em!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, we need more groceries! LOL

I should replace the carbs with more protein, but I've heard eating too much period, whether it's protein or carbs can raise your blood sugar... So after my 4oz of protein, would more protein still be okay?

I haven't tried cheese crisps yet, but when we go out to the farmers' market tomorrow I plan to load up on all kinds of sliced cheese. I eat cheezits now, so I know I'll like the cheese crisps.

I don't like deviled eggs :( Sacrilege I know! I make them for hubby and my youngest, but I can't stand boiled eggs at all, nevermind the filling...blech!

However, I have no clue what is going on now. My numbers are back down. I've learned not to freak out over one day of high numbers, but it had been a week - and not all were high, but when I had all my carb servings they were a couple pts over 120. So I thought I needed to make some changes...but yesterday for lunch I had 1/2 english muffin and 1/2 cup pears - leaving out one carb and my milk (which I usually have sugar free yogurt) - and my 2hr number was 67. Today for lunch I added in two pieces of bread and 1/2 cup pineapple, and got an 84. So it looks like I'm back to where I was and can eat all my carbs again.

Can I just reiterate how frustrating this is? If I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't worry so much. But I'm afraid I'm a tad obsessive!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You are not obsessive - you are a pregnant lady who's doing everything in her power to overcome any risks to the wee babe! :hug::)

I think you could increase the protein without overdoing it . . . maybe just an extra ounce or two. If you were to grab a handful of almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc., when the hunger hits . . . there's enough fiber/protein/fat to subdue the munchies & not enough to rattle your meter. I just know that going around hungry all the time makes me a grouchy old granny! I'm a grazer anyhow, but some days are worse than others & it feels like I'm hunting for something to eat every time I turn around! :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts