The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A metastudy of around 30,000 people in England tested whether people with elevated levels of blood glucose (high A1c) were at greater risk for being infected with COVID-19 and/or having "long-COVID" symptoms. The study:

Excess weight, not high blood sugar, associated with increased risk of COVID-19 infection and long COVID

I will note that the study has a few deficiencies, including diversity of the study group, and that the article is big on absolutes when, in fact, the risk increase sometimes is as small as 10%. But it's an easy read and you can determine how applicable it all is to your situation.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I do not agree with these results. I had Covid as did my wife. I had few symptoms, Joints ache for a day, fever on day 2, and I was lethargic on day 3 and 4. Day 5 I was fine. I am substantially overweight and have been diabetic for over 25 years. My BS was 140-150 prior to this infection. My wife is not overweight, not diabetic, yet she had much worse symptoms for Covid...

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
div2live, good to see posts from you again!

As you know, everyone's experience as a diabetic is different. My wife (non-diabetic) and I both got COVID-19 in May. They gave me Paxlovid (not her). Her symptoms lasted longer than mine did though long COVID took us both some time to get past. Hard to say the effect the Paxlovid had.

I've also seen studies that indicate that keeping A1c/blood glucose levels down in the 5.x-low 6.x range (where mine is) also reduces the risk of infection (n.b., not necessarily duration or severity). I thought this was an interesting enough piece to post, but between study assumptions and possible limitations and what we're still learning about coronaviruses and diabetes, I'm okay with taking this as one data point that does not fit all circumstances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts