The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
this has been talked around for awhile now.

Paula Deen & family are not what they seem lol. Its all for show.
Behind the scene its not so hot.

I am surprised her Husband hasn't dropped dead by now. All that stuff she is feeding him.

Now her son Jamie coming out with a new TV show. 'its not my mamas cooking' I watched maybe all of 5minutes. its the biggest bunch of BS.....

But you know ppl will go for it becuz its THEM.....

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have mixed thoughts on this one. She is such an obvious target!!!

Then, I wonder how much of it is hype. Lots of people get fat, but do not become diabetic, on the diet she (used to) push, right?

As far as becoming a drug ho, what's the difference, really? Food ho to drug ho.

Sorry about the indelicate sentiments expressed.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember years ago in an interview she was talking how she had a touch of the sugars. I am assuming that was diabetes. For awhile there there were lots of Low Carb Cooking Shows on the Food Channel, but evidently they didn't do well. I would really like a cooking show that is honest with its viewers. I noticed in the articles the first thing she is taking out of her food is fat, not carbs. Just imagine what a Paula Deene could do with Low Carb cooking with Almond Flour, Coconut Flour and Flaxseed. I really hope she is not working with the drug companies. Otherwise what we will see is that diabetics don't have to change their carb binges, just inject a little insulin or take a few pills. It is a shame that there is so much misinformation out there about diabetes. A nurse friend of mine is taking a required Continuing Ed course and she is doing it on diabetes. She told me she can't believe what they are still teaching about Type 2, that type 2 is caused by overeating fat and being a couch potato.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The "Kardashians" of the food world. UGH

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally, I love Paula Deen. I don't really eat what she cooks because...well...I just don't! :p

But I've been told I look a lot like her! :D

jwags, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see her do a show about how to live well (and eat yummy things) that are healthy and good for you - with diabetes!

If you all are interested in some serious misinformation:

Paula Deen has Type II Diabetes - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

·
Registered
429 Posts
Being English this thread has gone way over my head , but interesting reading the comments on that forum.

In the UK we have "celebrity" chefs, who range from midly annoying to highly irritating. Most need boiling down for glue :D

We diabetics really are demonized as a group , such a lot of misinformation about :(

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I love Paula Deen. I don't really eat what she cooks because...well...I just don't! :p

But I've been told I look a lot like her! :D

jwags, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see her do a show about how to live well (and eat yummy things) that are healthy and good for you - with diabetes!

If you all are interested in some serious misinformation:

Paula Deen has Type II Diabetes - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com
It cracks me up that these reports keep calling Novartis the drug that she will be representing... Novartis is the pharmaceutical company and even though they SAY this: The rumors that Novartis has signed a multi-million dollar spokesperson deal with Paula Deen for a Diabetes treatment are not true. Novartis is not working with Ms. Deen., they do have interests in diabetes as is evidenced by this statement on their site: Novartis is committed to developing new drugs for the treatment of diabetes and has one of the most robust and extensive research programs ...

You are so right about the misinformation floating around out there, but what can you expect when the ADA recommendations are totally out of whack with our reality? I'm so sick of seeing the recipes they promote as "healthy" for diabetics that contain sugar, flour, fruit....or potatoes and rice. I believe the ADA is in the pocket of the pharm co. and recommend such high levels of carbs that people will HAVE to stay on meds.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being English this thread has gone way over my head , but interesting reading the comments on that forum.

In the UK we have "celebrity" chefs, who range from midly annoying to highly irritating. Most need boiling down for glue :D

We diabetics really are demonized as a group , such a lot of misinformation about :(
I watch "Two Fat Ladies who Cook" and have wondered if they have diabetes too. Are you familiar with them? Your comment about "boiling down for glue" is hilarious!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know she's all caught up in the "celebrity" thing, but I do not believe she is "evil" like so many are saying she is....I think she will do some good for diabetes IF, and it's a big IF, she doesn't get sucked in by the ADA and become their spokesperson. At the same time, I doubt if she will take the time and the hard work to find out the truths that we have all discovered, that the ADA and all the dieticians that recommend something like 50 carbs per meal and to eat oatmeal and bananas and a "balanced" diet, less fat....and on and on and on.

I still believe she's got a good heart and remembers where she came from. She's not the first person to be in denial that her lifestyle is terrible. Now she's facing it and I think she'll turn things around. Hope she can quit smoking too.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I wasn't going to reply as to why I 'dispise' her. I will say this.
First off I don't dispise here. I just have no respect for her.

she is a fraud. hiding the fact that she has Diabete's becuz it will hurt her image.

she is a huge phoney.
she has a huge potty mouth.
she is money hungry greedy.
she will put her 'name' on any low quality product for money.

she & her family run a business that is not a nice place to work .

she is now going to money off her Diabetes.

being from the south & being southern to my roots, she has made a mockery off ''Ya'lls''........

nuf said from me...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

she is a fraud. hiding the fact that she has Diabete's becuz it will hurt her image.

she is a huge phoney.

being from the south & being southern to my roots, she has made a mockery off ''Ya'lls''........

nuf said from me...
Hey, you're entitled to your feelings and opinions! and I'd rather hear from someone who has personal experience with her than all these news reports....can you explain how you came to these opinions? Did you work for her (or know someone who worked in the restaurant)?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey, you're entitled to your feelings and opinions! and I'd rather hear from someone who has personal experience with her than all these news reports....can you explain how you came to these opinions? Did you work for her (or know someone who worked in the restaurant)?
yes being a short distance from Savannah , we go there from time to time.

The food & service is not good. It is also overpriced. its a tourist trap. The tourist bus's get a kick back to take folks there.

Its well know that 'they' do not treat the employees good. It is just not behind the door talk its a honest to god truth.

She handed over that place to her kids who really just needed a job. I bet she doesn't step foot in the place & hasn't for yrs.

I am a foodie person. lol I am not a fan of daytime network tv cooks tho. I can't deal with the full of themself big heads.

I tell ya the one that gets the most attention around here is Robert Irvine. His place & he lives in Hilton Head SC. 'EAT' Is just the opposite. wonderful food wonderful staff & he runs a great place to EAT :D

·
Registered
45 Posts

she is a huge phoney.

nuf said from me...

Wow!

Good thing you don't despise her. ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes being a short distance from Savannah , we go there from time to time.

The food & service is not good. It is also overpriced. its a tourist trap. The tourist bus's get a kick back to take folks there.

Its well know that 'they' do not treat the employees good. It is just not behind the door talk its a honest to god truth.

She handed over that place to her kids who really just needed a job. I bet she doesn't step foot in the place & hasn't for yrs.

I am a foodie person. lol I am not a fan of daytime network tv cooks tho. I can't deal with the full of themself big heads.

I tell ya the one that gets the most attention around here is Robert Irvine. His place & he lives in Hilton Head SC. 'EAT' Is just the opposite. wonderful food wonderful staff & he runs a great place to EAT :D
I really enjoy Robert Irvine too! If I'm ever there I will try to go to his place!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts