The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got diagnosed 4 days ago, and am pretty clueless, to be honest. I thought what I ate for breakfast was good, but my bloodsugar went up from 13,1 til 17,6. :eek:

What do you guys eat in a "typical day"? I know everyone is different, but I am trying to see if I can find a startingpoint, some groundrules...

TIA! :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sorry about your diagnosis, but good for you for learning how to manage your diabetes :)

Well, thats not an easy question to answer without a little more information from you. The answer honestly depends on what type of diabetic you are. A type 1 with no insulin resistance issues can pretty much eat what they want to, they just need to know exactly what they are eating so they can cover it adequately with insulin. A type 2 that is insulin dependant because they either do not make any insulin on thier own, or do not make enough have a little more leeway also, they also just have to know what they eating so they can cover their insulin correctly. They will usually do better with a lower carb diet since they have some insulin resistance also. A type 2 diabetic that is diet controlled or taking oral medication is going to do best with a low carb, higher fat diet. Carbohydrates raise your blood sugar, not just sweet stuff. Carbohydrates begin turning into sugar almost as soon as you start eating them. Things like pasta, rice, bread, cereal, potatoes are all high in carbs. Fruit also is mostly pretty high in natural sugar and carbs. The best way to tell if you are eating too many carbs fofr your body to handle is to test before you eat, then at least 2 hours after you finish. You should be back down to where you were before you ate by then. If you are not...then you ate too many carbs.

What type of diabetic are you? What medicine are you taking? Maybe if you can give us an idea of what you are typically eating we can give you more specific information :) We are all here to help each other out and there are always people around with lots of information to share :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am a type 2 only on metformin. I have stopped eating any boxed or bagged processed food. For breakfast I usually eat bacon and eggs and a vegetable or sprouted grain bread with coconut oil and raw almond butter on it. Lunch is usually a salad or a sandwich made on sprouted grain bread. I avoid any deli meat or things with chemicals or nitrates. Dinner is usually steak, bunless burgers, chilli, beef stew made with free range meat and lots of veggies. Snacks are usually raw nuts, baked treats made with almold flour and coconut oil or flaxseed. I eat very well, I don't count calories, just carbs. Test 2 hours after you eat. You want the bg to be as low as possible, usually lower than 120-140.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My usual breakfast is turkey breast, some spicy guacamole and some fresh blackberries and raspberries (when they're available) or frozen blackberries and a small amount of apple and orange heated in the microwave with some flax seed and cinnamon. Alternatively, eggs and sausage or bacon. I also include coffee with a tiny amount of Splenda and some heavy cream every day.

I never have grains or bread with breakfast - my body just can't handle them in the morning at all. Too bad, really....I miss oatmeal.

Jen

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I normally eat an omelette for breakfast: 2 eggs and a splash of milk, lean ham (not honey ham, lol...) with diced tomato, gr. onion, gr. bell pepper. I spice it up with pepper and Mrs. Dash. Sometimes instead of ham I'll skip the meat *in* the omelette and have a side of 2 strips bacon.

Mornings that I don't feel like eggs I now make some pancakes (almond flour/whey pancakes, basically no-carb) with Walden Farms 0 carb syrup. Sometimes I put blueberries in 'em but not right now.

When I was first diagnosed I tried things like multigrian cheerios and quick oats ... BAD idea. I'm not tolerant to any kinds of cereals, it seems.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Cheese
Meat
peppers
onions
bacon
broccoli
garlic
mayonnaise

that sums it up