The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new app for my phone that lets me track everything I eat by barcode and size. It then makes a "nutrition label" for the day's and week's totals. While I am seeing a drop in my carb intake and increases in my fat and protein intakes, I noticed a MAJOR increase in sodium. In fact, this week I'm averaging 3000mg/day.

How do I overcome this conundrum?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Where's the sodium coming from? Packaged meats? Do you have blood pressure issues?

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have BP issues. At my last checkup I was about 110/70. But I'd also like to keep it in that area.

The sodium probably is from processed foods. I live in the boonies in the middle of cattle country and it's ver hard to get nice fresh foods and produce.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Well, it seems your choices are to make an effort to eat fresher food (even in the boonies it can be done, albeit more expensively I'd suppose), pay close attention to labels, or perhaps do some testing to find out how sensitive your body is to sodium.

Home blood pressure monitors aren't the greatest, but like glucose monitors can help you keep an eye on what's happening. If you're concerned, you could buy one, and start measuring your bp various times a day after high sodium intake and see if it spikes you. Someone more knowledgeable will weigh in I'm sure - I'm just brainstormin' since I've never had bp issues and don't seem to be sensitive to sodium. Maybe you aren't either? Even so, fresh is best!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@moon

Considering all the fast,fried, overprocessed, and generally ba for you food I ate before I went DKA, I don't seem to be overly sensitive to sodium.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I guess if you wanna keep your new app happy, you'll have to restrict the processed foods. We live in the Ozark boonies, and yeah - it's hard to find a lot things, but our wee local grocery has improved its produce department by about 100% since we've been here, and it's the only place I'll buy avocados. Their meat department is good too - so good that one of the major local restaurants from down on the Interstate comes 15 miles to the hinterland for their meat when there are several large chain supermarkets within two miles of the restaurant.

If you once find a place that is a cut above, or that will order in for you - which is what I had to do back when I could afford pine nuts; they'd order them for me - really encourage them. Buy whatever you can there, and like the grocery I found stocking fresh snow peas - KEEP buying them, so their inventory shows what's moving.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep those ideas in mind, though the best "grocery" store in the area is Walmart, not sure how successful it will be.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have the opposite problem , since I don't eat any processed food I don't get enough salt some days and I can feel it. I always try to eat some extra cheese or pepporoni to supplement salt. I really don't feel you need to limit salt unless you have BP problems. My BP tends to fall too low sometimes.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll remember the advice. Since Walmart is the best "grocery" in the area... I'll just leave that alone :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Seriously? You have a Walmart but not a real grocery store? Now that's amazing!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'll keep those ideas in mind, though the best "grocery" store in the area is Walmart, not sure how successful it will be.
I'm sure our Walmart gets the most business, but it has a long way to go toward being the best. I asked them to cut a specific cut of beef a few weeks ago, and was informed "we don't cut meat here anymore." Which begs the question, who DOES cut it, how far away are they, and how much time is spent en route? :rolleyes: I only know I won't be buying MY meat at Walmart!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's one thing we still got in this small town, an actual butcher. Nothing better for fresh brisket, ribs, or a nice thick ribeye. YUM!!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I'm totally with jwags. On another forum, this issue was discussed and I read that when the body is in nutritional ketosis, you require more sodium. As a matter of fact, my own taste buds asked for more salt after going lc/hf.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's funny - I'd kill my neighbor for a Wal-Mart grocery. I live in Chicago, the sales tax is high, food is overpriced anyway, and yet there's no real affordable grocery store anywhere near me. I can go to Dominick's (overpriced), Treasure Island (REALLY overpriced), Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. My grocery budget has almost doubled since moving here. To be fair, TJ's actually has pretty reasonable prices for some of its items, but you have to shop strategically. The options are also very limited there, especially the one here in the city.

I used to buy most of my groceries at Wal-Mart and then supplement with higher quality cuts of meat from other stores, but now I'm overpaying for the fresh and the packaged alike. Oh, how I miss Wal-Mart.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here, all stores are pretty much same price on everything except proteins and produce. Walmart is cheaper but quality is horrible. End up paying more for just "decent" quality food. It's getting to where I'm tempted to drive the two hours one way for good food.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts