The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was confused about whether I could eat watermelon or not. I kept reading different opinions and have avoided it up to now, but I think this explains why it's not so bad for diabetics. I'm going to try some tonight and see what happens!

"The higher the glycemic index of a particular food, the faster and more dramatic the rise in blood sugar after eating it. The glycemic index is obviously very useful for people with diabetes. However, because it ignores the amount of carbohydrate in an average serving of a food, it needed a little refining. Enter the glycemic load. The glycemic load of a food takes into account both the glycemic index and the number of carbs per serving, giving us a more reasonable indication of a food's impact on blood sugar.

Watermelon, for example, has a high glycemic index. However, a typical serving, because so much of it is water, contains very little carbohydrate and thus has a low glycemic load. Three-quarters of a cup of watermelon balls has fewer than nine grams of carbohydrate."

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love watermelon...

I've been eating watermelon all summer, knowing that its very low
in carbs. Its one of our most favorite desserts. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just picked up 5 melons the other day and will put this info into a personal test. Ya gotta remember that we're ALL individuals and have varying results! Like why when I eat 3 Burger King Buck Doubles and large fry (which get shared with my 4-legger kids) are my numbers in the lower 90's??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it sends my BG into orbit . . . :(
I'm half suspecting it will mine too, Shanny. I hope not though. I started to buy one of those small personal ones, but it was 2.50 and next to it about a basketball size one for 2.99 so I went ahead and got the better deal. If I can't eat it, I'll give it to my granddaughter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
re:I love watermelon...

Dlife has a good list for low carb fruits and vegetables.

And their newsletter is great, with a lot of up-to-date information on diabetes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shanny, I don't seem to find my newsletter, is there a way to have it remailed to me?
I'll make sure my profile email is correct, but I'd sure like to take a gander at this months newsletter...

·
Registered
26 Posts
And it sends my BG into orbit . . . :(
I prefer to call it my "BS" LOL! OK here's my results of the melon test... my BS was at 80 about an hour ago, about 4 hours after eating a 4-rib chunk of MY smoked ribs prepared with my own rub, a serving of probably 1 cup +/- of my home made "bacon-beans" that had WAY TOO MUCH brown sugar in them (I accidentally O.D.'d them with it).

AFTER seeing the 80 come up I thought WTH let's see what some melon does to bring my "BS" up. I ate a large serving, probably close to 3 or 4 cups (yeah I know but I'm gonna die sooner or later anyhow LOL!) and an hour later I rechecked to see a 120, a jump of only 40 points which isn't bad considering how much watermelon I ate. Take the test yourself but I suggest a smaller serving size, unlike I, the "over achiever" had!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I prefer to call it my "BS" LOL! OK here's my results of the melon test... my BS was at 80 about an hour ago, about 4 hours after eating a 4-rib chunk of MY smoked ribs prepared with my own rub, a serving of probably 1 cup +/- of my home made "bacon-beans" that had WAY TOO MUCH brown sugar in them (I accidentally O.D.'d them with it).

AFTER seeing the 80 come up I thought WTH let's see what some melon does to bring my "BS" up. I ate a large serving, probably close to 3 or 4 cups (yeah I know but I'm gonna die sooner or later anyhow LOL!) and an hour later I rechecked to see a 120, a jump of only 40 points which isn't bad considering how much watermelon I ate. Take the test yourself but I suggest a smaller serving size, unlike I, the "over achiever" had!
Are you sure you got the right dx? lol Are you Type 2? How long? Here's a partial list of the things I've tried to get by with since I started testing:
Grapefruit
Navy beans
skim milk
Bananas
Whole grain bread
Oatmeal

All of it caused a spike.....maybe now that I've been on Metformin for a few months I can give some of it another try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you sure you got the right dx? lol Are you Type 2? How long? Here's a partial list of the things I've tried to get by with since I started testing:
Grapefruit
Navy beans
skim milk
Bananas
Whole grain bread
Oatmeal

All of it caused a spike.....maybe now that I've been on Metformin for a few months I can give some of it another try.
OK, did a water displacement of the consumed watermelon and it was only 2.5 cups. Yes I am a type 2, diagnosed May 13th this year.

Novolin-R QID as per sliding scale unless my "BS" is 100 or less, Lantus 20 units BID, metformin 500mg BID.

I don't eat grapefruit (barf) haven't tried navy beans, but the baked beans are great, whole grain bread... no worries, and have had bananas and vitamin D milk without adverse effects.

I also have a bad atrial valve in my left chamber which I was diagnosed with when I went into the ER with dental pain (for the 3rd time in a week). They told me that my blood pressure was 180-something over 114, my "BS" was over 500 and my pulse was 150 BPM! They asked me how I felt and I told them that other than the tooth pain, I felt perfectly normal!

That's me and "mine" in a nutshell!

·
Registered
26 Posts
As for the right DX it's hard telling with the medical professionals in this town, like I said, when I was diagnosed it was my THIRD trip to the ER in a week and the 1st two times it wasn't detected, but then again the Dr. that did find it may have done another test or three that the others didn't. The Dr. that I did see on my 3rd trip was the one that I prefer to see at the ER, he's probably the best one there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK wait a minute... as per the DX of my diabetes... my "head med" Dr. did a "comprehensive metabolic panel" on me on 03/24/2010 in which my glucose was 163 and she then started me on metformin 500mg one daily. it wasn't until 2 months later that my "BS" hit over 500 in the ER.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would sure love to be able to eat watermelon again. Of course, I havent tried it since going on the pump. Maybe I will have to give it another try!

·
Registered
12 Posts
re:I love watermelon...

I'm not suggesting that watermelon DOESN'T spike your glucose, but just suggesting that its somewhat better than most fruits.
I'm a type 1 diabetic, which is obviously different than type 2, in that I have to know the carb ratio of EVERY thing I put into my mouth, and take the requisite amount of insulin to cover it. Or else I will spike in sugar levels, and potentially to dangerous highs.
YMMV, so check out what a cup, or so does for your sugar levels,

Diabetes Photo Gallery - The 25 Lowest Carb Fruits

·
Registered
710 Posts
Watermelon's my favorite, but sadly it's on my DNE list along with cantaloupe and honeydews - they all send my BG skyrocketing. Not worth the insulin. Grrr....berries are great, but I miss those beautiful summer melons :Cry:.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts