The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!

I found this site (and all of you, of course) very supportive when I was first diagnosed as type 2 and was very confused about all of the conflicting information about 10 months ago. Since then I have managed to keep to a fairly good diet and have not had too many unwell periods but would like to share with you some of my experiences in the hope that it could help a confused new diabetic - as I was.

Firstly, it's now my firm belief that type 2 affects different people differently. Secondly, in my case I was not overweight until I developed diabetes (or it became apparent). I can now put on a couple of kilograms in a week by having a small piece of cake (at Christmas, no icing) ...so watching the calories doesn't work, the diabetes is overuling the ordinary diet research. I can reduce the calories dramatically, eat virtually nothing and still put on weight. It's what I eat that causes the problem, whether it contains sugar or carbohydrates or not. Pork makes me really ill, which is a pain 'cos I love crackling.

One thing that I really need help with from you guys is sleep. All of the literature says that carbohydrate helps you to sleep, and this does work, I've tried it in the past. But I no longer eat bread and not much in the way of potatoes, so I have terrific problems both getting to sleep and staying that way. It's a vicious circle, I get really tired, which causes diabetes problems, which stop me sleeping. HELP!

Cheery-bye to all of you good people out there ...keep smiling and love yourselves.

Corky.

·
Registered
461 Posts
2 Benadryl before bedtime usually helps me sleep all night however I have no idea of its effect on diabetes... I know someone here will know the answer...

bugg :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Benedryl (diphenhydramine) doesn't have any specific ill effects on PWD that I know of. This is the component in many of the "PM" products that help you sleep.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I take melatonin to help me sleep

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I take a prescription sleeping pill and melatonin and Sleep MD and sleep like a baby.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I take 3 mg of melatonin and theanine, it helps me relax and most nights helps me sleep. Once in awhile I will have that night where nothing helps. Try to relax as much as possible ( warm bath, some meditation like yoga, no distractions before bed) I find even the light from the alarm clock is enough to keep me up some nights. Also be careful what TV you watch before bed. Last night I made the mistake of watching an old English Ghost Story before bed. I was creeped out all night. As for the weight gain, what meds or insulins are you on. Many diabetic meds have weight gain as a side effect.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Exercsie helps me, when I have a problem. And that is a LOT less frequent now!

I will go you one further -- there are many causes of T2D. Not just that it affects people differently. It is not one disease.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also use melatonin. Benadryl had a vicious effect on me. It gives me something like the malady "restless legs syndrome" which is a horror. Did the same thing to my mom.

Sleep problems are extremely common, particularly in older folks. I am definitely in that category.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts