The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fine for a long time, well 5 months. I haven't thought about complications at all. For some reason today that is all I can think about! I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I can't stop thinking that I won't see them graduate! I've only had diabetes for 7 months and I'm thinking down the road, years and years away.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
If you control your blood sugar, you're much more likely to die from something else. I could make up a very long list of things for you to worry about dying from if you'd like - that'd take your mind off diabetes :)

Reactions: PC76

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah true. The weird thing is that I am in control of it. I'd like a little more but control none the less. My average BG is 6. Just being a baby I guess and reading horror stories online about complications.

·
Registered
718 Posts
So stop reading those horror stories!

Control your blood sugar, that is what you can control. Everything else, is pretty much out of our control.

Accept the things you cannot change, the change the things you can.

:) I have three kids, and all I can do is cherish every moment with my family. It may be a car crash tomorrow, or a heart attack in 30 years. Make the most of TODAY, and try not to stress over tomorrow.

(cliche enough for you? LOL)

Reactions: Dura and PC76

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are 100% right, live in the now! I appreciate that. I do have good control too, so my worries are all in my head. It isn't fair to my family. my wife sent me an email too it said:

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events have the power to make my day happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead and tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day and I am going to be happy in it.

I guess I should listen to my wife more.

Reactions: Dura and Shanny

·
Registered
633 Posts
There are far fewer people that get serious complications and end thier lives in missary than those that live long and happy lives. In my first 37 years of having diabetes I never had an A1C below 7 most were closer to 8 and I am still here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First take a deep breath and relax. Complications are not a given with diabetics and usually occur after years of not taking care of your bgs. As long as you keep bgs close to a normal range and increase meds when you need to you will be fine. We have many diabetics on this forum who are extremely healthy after 65 + years of diabetes. I do think diabetes has made me healthier because now I know the effect of food on my bgs and plan accordingly.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok my turn with the clichés...

Maybe it's because I have a disabled son I'm not sure...but I'm 54 and I make sure that I have FUN every day...I sing LOUD in the car I dance when ever I feel like...I dress how ever I want...I milk every drop out of life...and I forgive myself when I stuff up...which I do lol

I have found (for me) that when I get depressed etc that doing something helps...get your hands dirty...play...make...what ever...doing helps...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been fine for a long time, well 5 months. I haven't thought about complications at all. For some reason today that is all I can think about! I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I can't stop thinking that I won't see them graduate! I've only had diabetes for 7 months and I'm thinking down the road, years and years away.
It's easy to get overwhelmed. I have been there man. The thing you need to realize is that the disease is under your control. Unlike other conditions, (I.E. Cancer, AIDS, Etc..) YOU have the ultimate control over the progression by what you eat, how you exercise, even how you react to stress.

I speak from experiencing anxiety and depression after my diagnosis. I also have a 4 year old, and it scared me for a while. I almost couldn't leave the house!

BUT, because I have the ultimate control, there is that comfort. I can maintain my BG levels SO I won't have complications down the road. I can be the one that has no complications, and I WILL see my son graduate, get married, etc. I will do everything in my power to let that happen.

Aside from that, I have no control over anything else that happens in life. Concentrate on what you can control, and make it the best.

I hope that helps out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jasonsandeman,

What did you do after your diagnoses? I feel exactly the same way and it drives me nuts. I don't want to leave my house to go to work. It's like I want to spend every minute with my kids and wife.

·
Registered
90 Posts
PC76 said:
What did you do after your diagnoses? I feel exactly the same way and it drives me nuts. I don't want to leave my house to go to work. It's like I want to spend every minute with my kids and wife.
I had a tonne of panic attacks. It was pretty ridiculous. I was put on Paxil, and while it numbed me, the underlying panic was always still there.

I still get panicked whenever I have a palpitation, or a chest twinge. The best way is to just ride it out. It never hurt anyone. It always passes.

I realized that I was no help to anyone by sitting at home. I am still working on it today. I wish I could be more help. LOL

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a big help, I'm not alone. It's a tough process, very tough. I've been dabating AD's for months now but I don't want to if I don't have too. If I keep it up though I won't have a choice. Having kids makes it tough eh? I've had chest pain since I was diagnosed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is a big help, I'm not alone. It's a tough process, very tough. I've been dabating AD's for months now but I don't want to if I don't have too. If I keep it up though I won't have a choice. Having kids makes it tough eh? I've had chest pain since I was diagnosed.
I just realized you were diagnosed a year to the DAY that I was. Wow.

The chest pain I have is anxiety related. It always comes and goes, and if I take an Ativan, I "forget" about it.

Have you done the whole workup for your heart? I know it's not cardiac because I have had numerous Xrays, ECG, blood tests, etc. In fact, the reason I was put on Paxil was because I kept going to the ER.

In retrospect, I HATE being an anxiety sufferer, but I know that I am healthy though. It is hard to believe it sometimes though.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that is crazy!

I have had an xray, an ecg, next week I get a heart monitor for 48 hours and a stess test in 3 weeks. I am also getting a ultrasound too if I have gallstones. I went to the ER 2 times. My chest pain stay though, it has been present for 7+ months now. Ativan eh? Maybe I'll ask for some of that too, but you can't take it all the time right?

I've always been a worrier but I have been ridiculous the last while. I hope it's anxiety and not heart related.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow, that is crazy!

I have had an xray, an ecg, next week I get a heart monitor for 48 hours and a stess test in 3 weeks. I am also getting a ultrasound too if I have gallstones. I went to the ER 2 times. My chest pain stay though, it has been present for 7+ months now. Ativan eh? Maybe I'll ask for some of that too, but you can't take it all the time right?

I've always been a worrier but I have been ridiculous the last while. I hope it's anxiety and not heart related.
Well, in my case, it's not heart related. I have come to accept that if it was, I would have been dead for over a year now. It's funny; it's hard to accept that you are alright.

Ativan is addictive. You COULD take it all the time, but then it loses it's power to calm you. The only time I take it is when I KNOW that I am about to go off on the deep end.

Here's to hoping your experience is okay as well.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is exactly how I have to think, it's been 7 months, if it was major I'd be gone. It is unbelievably hard to accept that, I try though, I just need to try harder. But it is hard, like I said it has been there for 7 months, non stop. No wonder I'm losing my mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts