The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies to everyone for being missing in action for a while. School has been beating me up and I have not been well for the last month. Insulin usage is way up since my resistance seems to be increased. Very frustrating! I hate it when I am having wildly fluctuating blood sugars from low to over 320 sometimes *sigh*. I am sure its not a coincidence that my neuropathy has really flared up as well. How rude for it all to hit me as I am trying to prepare for finals!

Anyhoo..went to the doc and started on Symlin. Fingers crossed that it helps. So far it seems to be helping but I have only been taking if for a few days and I am still on the initial starting dose. Aside from the nausea it isnt too bad really.

Trying to catch up on posts and hope everyone is doing well!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome back - you were missed. Sorry for the reason you were away and hope the Symlin works for you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The thing with symalin is to make sure that you take when you are ready to eat and not before like you would with your insulin. This will help with the nausea. Altough I took it and never did any nausea just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I can look at the nausea in a positive way..it does sort of kill my appetite a bit LOL.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sorry you've been feeling so rough! Hope the Symlin works wonders for you.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing with symalin is to make sure that you take when you are ready to eat and not before like you would with your insulin. This will help with the nausea. Altough I took it and never did any nausea just lucky I guess.
Are you not still taking it? Did it help you at all or not really?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I wish I was but my insurance quit covering it and I couldn't afford it almost $300.00 a month. It did help for the year that I could take it. Was able to avoid most post meal spikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
symlin

Someone mentioned starting on symlin. I started five weeks ago and I really like it. I had to talk my doctor into giving me the prescription. It definitely cuts down on the peaks after eating but then you have to be prepared to give the rest of the insulin two hours later. It is a balance act but worth it. Start at the lowest dose so you won't be nauseated etc.
MH

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Someone mentioned starting on symlin. I started five weeks ago and I really like it. I had to talk my doctor into giving me the prescription. It definitely cuts down on the peaks after eating but then you have to be prepared to give the rest of the insulin two hours later. It is a balance act but worth it. Start at the lowest dose so you won't be nauseated etc.
MH
Welcome aboard, MH . . . tell us more about yourself. Bet there's a lot you could teach us. Are you a pumper?

Make yourself at home here & thank you for joining us. Looking forward to getting better acquainted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.