The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Whilst I love eggs, they can have an unfortuante result if I eat too many of them. Please can you tell me a suitable substitute I can buy easily in the UK, like a protein drink? I'm worried I'm going to pick one which is secretly full of carbs, and although Jeanie's website is brilliant, it's in the US. If possible, I'd like to go into the shop and look at what I'm buying.

I still get hung up on how many carbs I should be buying, for example, there are some Ryvita biscuits which have 50g (?) per 100g, which is lower than most, but sounds absolutely sky high to me. Although, since you would then only eating one, does that make them OK?

I HAVE to keep my levels to the lowest I possible can for the next two months until I get my BGs tested again to persuade the doctor that I don't need insulin. Or if I do, then I want to make sure my weight is as low as it can go. So I really want to get as much info up front before buying anything, rather than experimenting, and getting it wrong sometimes.

Many thanks

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya, well, what I'd like is something really quick and easy. Dr Bernstein recommends some protein drinks, but they are American, and I have never seen them over here. I would like the UK equivelant - and of Bran-O-Crisp.....I think that's right. Also, I can't stomach thinsg like broccoli and that in the morning, I can handle a drink better. I can't have tomatoes or carrots - too many carbs. I can't have sausages or bacon as they spike me too much.

Most low carbers seem to get hold of these drinks, I just would like to know where from.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By unfortunate, I mean the mail (to quote Stephen King) starts to arrive faster and without any control after too many egges, although at the moment I have had the problem that the mail hasn't arrived at all for five days. Because I had a tummy problem, I took some immodium, which would normally slow things up, but instead I've had "cement insides". I wouldn't dwell on this, except that it either implies I was getting most of my fibre from my carbs, or that I am successfully controlling my food intake - which I would much prefer to happen.

Anyway, I will go to a health food shop on Saturday, and make some enquries. I just want to make sure I get the lowest carb option. And then if they can't help me, I can use the internet options to get some.

I'd love to add fruit - I'm thinking of trying to put some back into my diet, although I'm wodering if my testing equipment is broken, it's had the same result twice in a row - unusual for me!

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks. Maybe I can try something like prunes as well - what I don't want is to take something which will reverse the effects too much. Difficult to get things right at the moment whilst my body is still in flux over the new diet.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, I may need a bit of fibre, I had a bit of an issue yesterday which was a bit shocking - difficult to go into details, but if you have ever had piles, you may understand......But this is linked to other issues I've had in the past, so it's not just the new diet. Another trip to the Health food shop I think. I found that the nutri drink, whilst tasting very nice, does spike me a lot, so I will have to use it sparingly. It does say, "Low carb" though.And it cost a BOMB!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.