The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hormone release, liver dump, stress, sputtering beta cells....it's a long list. Can you give more detail?

Jen

·
Registered
299 Posts
Test error or contamination, illness, medications...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What do you consider a spike? One thing about diabetes is that it is never the same. I get 50-60 point spikes sometimes when I don't eat, when I exercise or do heavy yard work, when I am stressed or when I am coming down with an illness. Even if you strain a muscle it could signal your liver to dump glucose. Isn't diabetes fun.

G

·
yeah it's not just food that causes spikes. I personally have noticed spikes when I'm sick, in pain, stressed, emotional, tired, dehydrated, other medications, etc.... that's without food. There's just so many factors to consider to bring BGLs under control... it does make it hard to maintain a good level throughout each and every day. Food is really just a small part of it.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm trying to get used to not being able to nail down a spike. This morning my fasting was 81, so I thought I have a little play.

I've not had my morning coffee with milk/sugar since I tried that a month or so ago and spiked to the moon. Crazy yeah, but I had to try, hoping for star alignment. Figured today I'd be less brazen. Had eggs and ham for breakfast, coffee with a bit of whipping cream vs milk, and 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsps erythritol. An hour later I was 137, and I'm thinking 56 pts for one lousy tsp sugar?

Well, I did forget to take my metformin last night, so maybe my liver got involved before I had breakfast -

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, I did forget to take my metformin last night, so maybe my liver got involved before I had breakfast -
Speaking of which, I'm reminded to go take my OWN night meds! Have had a dickens of a time remembering them lately. Going right now - before I have a chance to forget again! :mad:

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
What would cause my bs to spike up if there was no change in diet to cause it?
I have actually gone a whole day without eating because I was sick with the stomach flu and still my level was about 125, seems when I eat it drops to normal this illness we have is a very complicated one just stay on your levels and keep eating right because most of the time your levels are fine right?

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
What do you consider a spike? One thing about diabetes is that it is never the same. I get 50-60 point spikes sometimes when I don't eat, when I exercise or do heavy yard work, when I am stressed or when I am coming down with an illness. Even if you strain a muscle it could signal your liver to dump glucose. Isn't diabetes fun.
It sure is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts