The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meticulous monitoring my readings recently with average morning reading of on average 5.5 (100) and pre dinner readings of 4.8 (86) and consistently on these marks just took before dinner now and it was 6.9 (125)! Ate drank nothing unusual this afternoon but did have one hour nap could this be the cause of the spike?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
There are a few possible explanations:

1. It could be an erroneous false reading. I know strips are expensive, but anytime I get something that outside of my norms I re-wash and re-test to be sure. I even wipe the first drop of blood and test the second to get my cleanest possible sample. Most times it turns out to be an erroneous false reading for some reason.

2. If it had been a while since you'd had anything to eat, or if your body sensed it was getting 'low' in blood glucose (if your metabolism is more active than normal, from exercise or whatever), your liver might have simply 'dumped' a little glucose into your blood stream. That is one of it's functions, is to feed you when it thinks you need it... For me, I can't go more than 3.5 hours or so without a meal or I get a small dump (my dumps usually put me at about a 6.2, give or take) ... Of course, we're all different...

·
Registered
165 Posts
remember meters are not 100% accurate and 10% margin of error isn't unheard of. spikes can be from lots of things but as long as they are under control i wouldn't worry too much about it

G

·
don't forget it's not just the food that spikes you.... did you drink enough water? I notice if I haven't had enough to drink, my BGLs can be much higher. But then again I notice the same when I'm in pain, sick, stressed, tired, etc. Occasionally you're going to get spikes for whatever reason... it's important not to stress over it.... I used to be very stressed in the earlier days... but now I've come to accept that not everything is within my control. All I can do is try my best that I know works for me and work closely with my medical team.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts