The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how this works. I'm pregnant with my third child, was diagnosed insulin resistant in my late teens... had gestational diabetes with my first two, and am type 2 now with my third. I've never spilled sugar before, ever, even with my second pregnancy which was not very controlled. I have tight control over my blood sugar this time and am on glyburide. I've never had high blood pressure either.

My doctor wants me to do a 24-hour urine collect, which he wants just for a baseline.

However, I'm wondering how the spilling sugar works... does it happen when you get to a certain number? Like, say I took my meds a little later than usual today and my 1-hour breakfast reading was 140 (fasting was 80)... would I spill at that number? Or would I have to have elevated blood sugar for a period of time before it started happening? My numbers have been really, really good, under 120 at 2-hour, usually they range from 70s to low 100s.

I don't want to screw up the test b/c I took my meds late. But, this is usually the time I have my appointments, and I've never spilled there, so I'm assuming I'll be fine...?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am wondering how this works. I'm pregnant with my third child, was diagnosed insulin resistant in my late teens... had gestational diabetes with my first two, and am type 2 now with my third. I've never spilled sugar before, ever, even with my second pregnancy which was not very controlled. I have tight control over my blood sugar this time and am on glyburide. I've never had high blood pressure either.

My doctor wants me to do a 24-hour urine collect, which he wants just for a baseline.

However, I'm wondering how the spilling sugar works... does it happen when you get to a certain number? Like, say I took my meds a little later than usual today and my 1-hour breakfast reading was 140 (fasting was 80)... would I spill at that number? Or would I have to have elevated blood sugar for a period of time before it started happening? My numbers have been really, really good, under 120 at 2-hour, usually they range from 70s to low 100s.

I don't want to screw up the test b/c I took my meds late. But, this is usually the time I have my appointments, and I've never spilled there, so I'm assuming I'll be fine...?
Hello and welcome to our forum! Gee, I have never been pregnant so I don't want to give you any suggestions. I am really hoping that some of our female members will see your post and jump in here and help me out. You might want to read some of the posts from the pregnancy section. I sure hope you find the answer that you are looking for. I hope you have time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

People spill sugar in their urine when they reach the threshold that their kidneys can manage to hang on to it. Different people have different renal thresholds, you might just have a low threshold so you spill sugar before your blood glucose gets too high. I am not sure why they need a 24 hour urine collect for glucose...I mean it all gets mixed in the same container, so it wouldnt really give them an idea of spilling at different times of the day. Spilled sugar actually occurs hours after the high glucose that caused it. Thats why blood testing is so much more accurate for diabetics to base their medications on. I dont think taking your meds late is going to make that much difference really. I am glad that your blood sugar is well controlled with this pregnancy, although I am surprised you are taking glyburide while pregnant and not switched to insulin. Good luck and let us know how it comes out :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts