The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low-carb Spinach Soufflé

1 16-oz bag frozen spinach (or equivalent in fresh spinach, blanched or wilted down)
1 3-oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp. butter, softened
1/4 - 1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan

Thaw spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.

Blend together cream cheese & butter; add to spinach & mix well.

Combine almond meal & parmesan.

Spoon spinach mixture into 1-quart casserole dish & sprinkle almond meal mixture evenly over all.

Bake about 30 minutes at 350°, until topping browns nicely.

Eight servings

Per serving:
calories: 103
calories from fat: 77
total fat: 9g
saturated fat: 4g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 20mg
sodium: 119mg
total carbs: 4g
dietary fiber: 2g
sugars: 1g
protein: 4g

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
A comment nearly three years later! Shanny linked to this recipe and it looks really good and I think I can adapt it to my limitations.

Since I'm sensitive to dairy, I'm thinking I can use the fake cream cheese and then mayonnaise instead of the butter. About half the Parmesan would be okay.

Hubby likes spinach, but I don't think I'll tell him what's in it until he tastes it and likes it. (works best this way)

Edit: on second thought - crushed pork rinds on top would be good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the original non-lc recipe called for cornbread mix topping, but don't quote me on that. I have a niece - Lily's mom - who won't eat spinach any other way, but she likes this so much we have to make it for every single family dinner! :D

I think your tweaks sound fine . . . and good thinking on keeping it a secret until after.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
VeeJay - What do you use for fake cream cheese - the tofutti type of substitutes? I have been trying to replace dairy here and there, as I find that my stomach is much calmer when I do. What do you usually use? I'd love to make this, as spinach has always, always been a staple food for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
And thanks for the bump VeeJay - spinach souffle was always a favorite but fell off my radar. I'm making this, Shanny!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
What do you use for fake cream cheese - the tofutti type of substitutes?
Yes, that's what I have. I've tried other brands but settled on this one. It's expensive to use a lot in a recipe, but I'm going to do it - probably a half recipe.

Shanny, we have a church dinner in a couple weeks and this looks like it'd be a hit with them. I'll make it with the dairy for that. There are a couple people in our church who are also doing low-carb (for weight loss) so I probably should bring the recipe with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts