The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have been to the website a couple of times but I never thought of joining the forum. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but the doctor says I am genetically predisposed because it is in the family. My Dad passed on two months ago having had diabetes for nine years. As much as this was a painful experience it was a wake up call for me to change my lifestyle. My Dad lived in Kenya and had little access to information like the one on this site. Although this is a common problem in Africa, I have made it my mission to ensure that people get checked regularly and start to lead better lifestyles or at least have better access to information about the condition. I hope to start this at a small district hospital called Kilifi where I work as a research scientist. I will keep You posted on my endeavors.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The most important thing people at risk for diabetes can do is to watch their carbs. Basically when you become diabetic your body doesn't process carbs very well and bgs begin to climb. Eating real food is the best way to go. Eat foods in their natural source, never processed. Also for someone at risk it is important to get a bg meter and check once in awhile to make sure bgs are under 100. This way you can get help as soon as those bgs climb above normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts