The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a description of the sprouted bread. What does it taste like? Where do you buy it, I have never seen it in my grocery stores? What about the cost? I don't like whole wheat or whole grain bread. When I do eat bread, it is white bread, called "Smart White", made from whole wheat. It is by Wonder Bread.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've always found it in the freezer section - the freezer section in the natural/organic foods department. And if I remember right, it was about $5 a loaf. And I hate to tell you, but I'm afraid it's a lot more LIKE whole-wheat/whole-grain bread than not. I like it fine, but I just can't afford it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can someone give me a description of the sprouted bread. What does it taste like? Where do you buy it, I have never seen it in my grocery stores? What about the cost? I don't like whole wheat or whole grain bread. When I do eat bread, it is white bread, called "Smart White", made from whole wheat. It is by Wonder Bread.
It tastes to me much like any other whole or ancient grain bread. Which I do enjoy. I've never liked white bread.

The texture is slightly different, it's somewhat more 'chewy' than other breads, at least the ones I've tried are.

I buy mine at Costco. I believe the USA has different bakeries, and I hear the 'Ezekiel 4:9' sprouted grain is one of the more common ones down there. You can hit their website at foodforlife dot com and do a search for stores by zip/postal code, that would help you find a place to try it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Trader Joes sells it fresh on their bread shelf because they sell so much. It has no preservatives so most stores sell it in the freezer. Our Costco doesn't have it, bummer. Trader joes has their own brand for about $2.79. They have sprouted multigrain, rye and wheat. I think it is 8 carbs with 3 fiber a slice. I like the taste of the Eziekel much better. They have 5 or 6 varieties. I like the Sesame and the Cinnamon Raisin. Although they have more carbs per slice it does not raise my bg. For lunch today I had a 1/2 of a sandwich with coconut oil, almond butter and Walden Farms Jam. I just tested at 2 hours and was 84. If I have 2 slices I will usually be around 100. Since it has no flour in it just the sprouted grain and other seed sprouts my system seems to deal with it much better. Do you have a Trader Joes near you in Columbus. I know when we go to visit my daughter at college in Granville we always take her to the one at Easton Plaza. But I think they have one on the west side too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get to a Trader Joes, the store in the Easton area is close to where I live. On my next shopping visit trip to that area of town, I will stop by Trader Joes. Thanks for all of the information. Gosh, it is great to be a member on here, we have our own review section for stores!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts