The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be meeting a new friend for coffee and conversation next week at a Starbucks and since I'm diabetic now I'm in major mourning for my beloved Mocha Java Chip blended drinks, I'm wondering what on earth I can have there that might not spike me. I'm not a coffee drinker at all unless it takes a ride around a blender with some ice and a scoop of chocolate something, so I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

I wonder how awful it would be to just have one teensy weensy blended drink. It would probably have to be my big splurge for the year and I'll have to exercise 2 hours to get it out of my system....:p

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Lessee ... a Java Chip Frappuccino has 69 grams of carbs, a Mocha Frappuccino has 57 ... Just typing this is spiking me! An Espresso Frappuccino would be the best deal at 38 - maybe have a sip out of that and then whip out a block of cheese from your bag to balance it with.

Dunno. If you don't like coffee, what about a cup of tea?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lessee ... a Java Chip Frappuccino has 69 grams of carbs, a Mocha Frappuccino has 57 ... Just typing this is spiking me! An Espresso Frappuccino would be the best deal at 38 - maybe have a sip out of that and then whip out a block of cheese from your bag to balance it with.

Dunno. If you don't like coffee, what about a cup of tea?
Oh, jeezaloo, that's like four days worth of carbs for me! Hmmm, I'll have to think about smuggling my Atkins Mocha Latte shake in somehow!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd be drinking tea or water

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your friend buying? I don't mean to be sordid, but they are so overpriced as well as carby, so I choose not to buy them!
No, she wouldn't be buying, but I'll tell you this: Starbucks is one of the reasons I'm broke now. In Portland, we have them literally on every single corner and sometimes two on one block. I got addicted pretty quickly!

·
Registered
298 Posts
bigrosiegreenbaum said:
No, she wouldn't be buying, but I'll tell you this: Starbucks is one of the reasons I'm broke now. In Portland, we have them literally on every single corner and sometimes two on one block. I got addicted pretty quickly!
It like dunkin donuts in new england

Reactions: kyteflyer

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've found that Starbucks customizes many drinks on request. I specify mine to be soy and sugar free. Sometimes I pick a flavor that doesn't have a sf syrup yet, if so I just choose again. Many coffee places in my area offer sf coffee drinks that don't spike me but I live south of Seattle where you can often see a Starbucks when you're inside another Starbucks. A few years ago there were three in the same parking lot and they were all busy. Anyhoo if you order try asking for sf. Some people use urinalysis glucose strips for checking drinks for carbs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live south of Seattle where you can often see a Starbucks when you're inside another Starbucks. A few years ago there were three in the same parking lot and they were all busy.
I know, I'm from Portland - isn't it hilarious? And most of the people working at Starbucks there have advanced degrees from MIT. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try an iced Americano with splenda or stevia in it.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Reactions: kbaird4939 and Vhm1
O

·
0 Posts
no Starbucks here this side of Oz. But if you can't find something to drink... you can factor in your carbs from whatever you choose. When out I look for good choices... but I don't go as far as refusing to enjoy myself either. On the bright side, milk is a low GI option of carb.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I guess you could meet this friend somewhere else....somewhere you can get something suitable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Prices aside...I'd probably order a Tazo Black Iced tea (they also usually have Green and an Herbal Teal available. Up here (in Canada) I have to watch them like a hawk as they usually try to put something sweet in the tea. It's hard to convince them that I don't actually want/need lemonade or syrups in my tea for flavour.

Good iced tea is something I learned to appreciate in a trip to Virginia many years ago.

The cr** they serve up here is usually powdered with sugar etc in it.

In summer my best friend is a Mr Coffee Iced tea maker.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't believe they put sugar syrup in something without asking....that's outrageous...

I frequent 3 different coffee shops and they all know I'm a diabetic...I think it really does pay to ummm lol make good relationships with anyone preparing your food or drinks...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm new at this. What's the word on black coffee, no sweetening. Is this a problem for a diabetic?
I can't see why it would...it's what I drink all the time :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know that I have no will power when it comes to anything sweet, so I do my best to avoid the temptation. I have a special weakness for Java Chip Frappucino! I know that if I say I will just have a little, I will end up having the whole thing and then ordering more. So my Starbucks survival tactic is to stick with coffee or tea with lots of Splenda or Stevia (I bring my own since not all Starbucks carry them)!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.