The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..... So I started Victoza on Friday and I am glad I did so far. Basically I am taking 1 shot a day that to me is less painful then the finger sticks. No worrying about timing it with meals... Just a quick needle. Why am I glad I did it. Well I am able to eat Wheat bread with out a spike. I even had a Wally B darned last night with diner which also included Bread and salad with dressing and a sweet potato...and a great yogurt for desert... BG never went over 120! Breakfast... I have actually been able to eat a bowl of oatmeal and my BG never went more that 10 points higher that my before meal reading. I am still going to watch my Diet and not over indulge on Carbs but, if it is working this good on 0.6 I can not wait to see what it does on 1.8 mg... My favorite part is this was the first weekend since I was diagnosed I have not had Dirhea at night!I really hope this continues!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow That sounds great..!!! What is Victoza...? Must be insulin? :confused:

bugg

Here is a link to it Victoza (liraglutide [rDNA origin] injection) for Patients With Type 2 Diabetes ? Official Product Site

It is not an insulin and is similar to byetta in that it helps your body to produce insulin more efficiently. Big difference is that it is once a day versus having to time it with meals. I upped my dosage today and have a slight headache but, that might be from my dogs playing ALLLLLLLLL Day!!!! BG are remaining between 90 and 118. the 118 is about 1 hour after meals (Oatmeal).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Very interesting, hope it continues to help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Doc, so glad you found a med that is working for you. We have to explore every option when it comes to medications ... some work better than others.

Last spring my primary physician had me go on ACTOS. A few months later when I saw my endocrinologist, he told me to stop taking it right away. For me, ACTOS did nothing for my blood glucose and the side effect was I was actually putting on weight. Maybe it works for some other people.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah this medication is "supposed" to be taken with actos but, my insurance did not want to approve the actos... Amazing a couple of people behind a dexk know more than a doctor... I was going to fight it but, my Endo said not to... She does not like that side affect of Actos.

My fasting BG has been 100 for the last 2 days. On Glubburide/metformin it would normally be around 120. That normally meant no carbs till Lunch. Now I can eat a couple of carbs at every meal with out a big spike.

Sorry to ramble on... I just did not see much posted on this drug here so I wanted to provide some info.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Doc, so glad you found a med that is working for you. We have to explore every option when it comes to medications ... some work better than others.

Last spring my primary physician had me go on ACTOS. A few months later when I saw my endocrinologist, he told me to stop taking it right away. For me, ACTOS did nothing for my blood glucose and the side effect was I was actually putting on weight. Maybe it works for some other people.
I was on 30MG of Actos for 13 months and when I was in the hospital in October my feet looked like balloons. My doctor told me to stop taking it and since November I have lost 38 pounds and my feet look normal. I really doubt that I will ever take the drug again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you still on Victoza?

yeah this medication is "supposed" to be taken with actos but, my insurance did not want to approve the actos... Amazing a couple of people behind a dexk know more than a doctor... I was going to fight it but, my Endo said not to... She does not like that side affect of Actos.

My fasting BG has been 100 for the last 2 days. On Glubburide/metformin it would normally be around 120. That normally meant no carbs till Lunch. Now I can eat a couple of carbs at every meal with out a big spike.

Sorry to ramble on... I just did not see much posted on this drug here so I wanted to provide some info.
Hi Doc,
Are you still on Victoza? I just started it 3 weeks ago and I'm hoping to find some long time users to see how it went with them.

Jodi

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Doc,
Are you still on Victoza? I just started it 3 weeks ago and I'm hoping to find some long time users to see how it went with them.

Jodi

Jodi,

It was great for me. I was on it for several months but, after having an A1C of 5.0 to 5.2 I was taken off of the medications and we are going to try to manage this with Diet and exercise.... Sorry We ARE going to manage it with Diet and Exercise. If I need to go back on Meds it will definitely be Victoza.

One warnin g I will give you is that if you stick the needle in and it hurts more than usual... I would not inject it. Maybe it is just me but it seemed to hurt for hours when I did that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jodi,

It was great for me. I was on it for several months but, after having an A1C of 5.0 to 5.2 I was taken off of the medications and we are going to try to manage this with Diet and exercise.... Sorry We ARE going to manage it with Diet and Exercise. If I need to go back on Meds it will definitely be Victoza.

One warnin g I will give you is that if you stick the needle in and it hurts more than usual... I would not inject it. Maybe it is just me but it seemed to hurt for hours when I did that
Thanks Doc for responding and the advice. I've been on it 3 weeks and so far it's been great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are only on the Victoza you will notice a great wieght loss... If you are using the Actos that is "Supposed" to be taken with it you may also notice a weight gain... You can guess which med I decided not to take :). Also with the Victoza challenge your body a little bit more and eat a few more carbs. You will notice that most of the time you will get the same readings as long as you do not go overboard and eat an entire pot of mashed Potatoes. I found that I could eat over double the carbs and even enjoy fruit while on this medication.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are only on the Victoza you will notice a great wieght loss... If you are using the Actos that is "Supposed" to be taken with it you may also notice a weight gain... You can guess which med I decided not to take :). Also with the Victoza challenge your body a little bit more and eat a few more carbs. You will notice that most of the time you will get the same readings as long as you do not go overboard and eat an entire pot of mashed Potatoes. I found that I could eat over double the carbs and even enjoy fruit while on this medication.
I am just taking the Victoza and I've lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks which is amazing. I've eaten pasta and fruit and have been fine. I even had dessert most nights when I was away on holiday. :D
I take it in the morning as the medication works for about 15 hours so this will get me through the day. I love not having cravings. I don't even think about food anymore which is wonderful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts