The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going over on Insulin this Friday( June 11) Blood sugars are over 315 regardless of fasting for the past 2 months. Any suggestion on how and where is the best place to give injection?? I am scared to death of needles and need to do this on my own. I will be starting with 2 injections a day and will be using a syringe due to the cost differences with the Pen.

Also, is it true that there is normally a weight gain with Insulin? I have been battleing the bulge for quite a while and am having some success losing weight and sure do not want to have to by larger clothes again

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am going over on Insulin this Friday( June 11) Blood sugars are over 315 regardless of fasting for the past 2 months. Any suggestion on how and where is the best place to give injection?? I am scared to death of needles and need to do this on my own. I will be starting with 2 injections a day and will be using a syringe due to the cost differences with the Pen.

Also, is it true that there is normally a weight gain with Insulin? I have been battleing the bulge for quite a while and am having some success losing weight and sure do not want to have to by larger clothes again

Thanks for any ideas
Welcome to the forum! Good to meet you :)

Fasting for the 2 months? Have you been using some sort of meal replacements?

Well, they should have you see an educator and show you how to inject insulin when they give it to you. Make sure you understand before you leave the drs office and if not..ask them questions :) Insulin is given into the fat layer just under the skin. Favorite places that most us use are the abdomen, (especially the lower abdomen) staying at least 2 inches away from the belly button or any other scar tissue you might have there.....the back of arm in the fattier portion...the hips...thighs. Basically, places you can pinch up about an inch of skin comfortably. When you inject it, you should loosely pinch the skin and fat layer together and inject it straight into the fat layer. The needles are thin, and short...and honestly most of the time you don't even hardly feel it. Here is a link with pictures to show the best places to use Diagram of insulin injection areas - Revolution Health

I haven't had a weight gain with insulin. Actually with my blood sugar being more in control now I have started losing weight. You can gain weight with it, but most people I know that have maintained good control and not used insulin as an excuse to be able to eat more haven't had much problem with weight gain. Good luck and fell free to ask anything you need :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Thanks for any ideas
I take insulin and give my injections in the abdomen. Sometimes it hurts, but you will get used to the feeling. I use a high gauge syringe (31 gauge) and it helps with the sting of some injections. Weight gain is a side effect from taking insulin. I have gained weight while using insulin, I take it as prescribed. Not everyone will experience weight gain.

Reactions: Pamela

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doing Great!!!

Thanks for any ideas

Just a quick follow up BS hovering around 140 Not perfect, but much better I am up to 20 units of Lantus each evening- They are talking about going with a faster acting type for lunch time- that is my worst

I sure feel better!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Way to go, ripster! And the bolus (mealtime) insulin should give you great control.

Thanks for the update - keep on keeping us posted! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just a quick follow up BS hovering around 140 Not perfect, but much better I am up to 20 units of Lantus each evening- They are talking about going with a faster acting type for lunch time- that is my worst

I sure feel better!
I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! Its amazing how much better you feel when your blood sugars are closer to normal :) Adding a fast acting bolus insulin is going to really help with your control. It works so much better that way. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

I sure feel better!
ripster80, that is really good news! I hope you continued success. You will get used to the injections. Use a high gauge needle, preferably 31 gauge and pinch up some skin before injecting and it will get easier everyday. Just a heads up, Lantus can sting at times, don't be alarmed if this happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Pam,
my fasting readings r fine but my ramdoms r always high ...370 ....i take actrapid 16 units before meals but it is not working as well.i also take 40 units insulatard in 2 divided doses....
any suggestions ..which insulin i should use to cover my random BS spikes???

Thanks

Ajnabee

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Ripster and Ajnabee. Insulin is a great tool. Here are two books that can help you understand how it all works and how to test for and establish the optimal doses of basal and bolus insulins: Using Insulin by John Walsh and Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner.

The advice about the highest gauge needles is great. I use the BD 31 short needles (5/16") and really don't feel them. For boluses I start on the right side of my abdomen in the a.m., and rotate left for successive injections throughout the day. I use my thighs most of the time for basal.

Jen

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello Pam,
my fasting readings r fine but my ramdoms r always high ...370 ....i take actrapid 16 units before meals but it is not working as well.i also take 40 units insulatard in 2 divided doses....
any suggestions ..which insulin i should use to cover my random BS spikes???

Thanks

Ajnabee
I am assuming the actrapid insulin is a fast acting insulin? This is usually the type used to cover meal carbs and correct highs. Are you using a sliding scale or an insulin to carb ratio when you cover for meals? If not, then you need to scale your carb intake back so it better matches your prescribed dose. Using an insulin to carb ratio is much more effective in managing those post meal highs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pam thanks for your reply..
Actrapid is short acting not fast acting....it really works slow...
i eat 2 chapatis + some dal + 2 kababs.....how would u calculate carbs in this meal....chapatis is like tortilla bread..super thin bread...

i increased the bolus dose to 20 units from 16 but no difference...

Ajanbee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts