The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hate to say it but I lost the war... My A1C is 10.6 and I was put on Levimir Flexpen.
I have to say even tho I was freaking out about having to give myself injections. It's not bad at all. I don't feel a thing. And my numbers are coming down.
My numbers were at a constant 250 no matter what I ate. So I guess it was time.

Crystal

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You did not lose ANYTHING. Please do not look at it that way.

I have been happy with Levemir for over a year, but tried splitting it and had some odd problems. It is terrific for controlling dawn phenomenon, though.

You required help, you have lost nothing and had the wisdom to accept help.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hey - your numbers are coming down, I'd say that's a success!

Congrats!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we are way too hard on ourselves. You did not lose anything. Your pancreas just decided it wasn't going to work. The important thing is your numbers are coming down.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Right after my diagnosis of diabetes, a good friend who is also Type 1, told me that diabetes is a "progressive" disease. I don't think you lost anything by starting insulin. It might help your pancreas to preserve whatever ability it has left to produce 'some' insulin on its own. You have done well to notice your numbers coming down already.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm so happy to have you post that it turned out to be no big deal - many people get freaked at the thought of injections, and your post will be a great boost to anyone who's a little leery of it.

You sure didn't lose the war . . . you just brought out one of the big guns and now you're winning the war! ;) The goal is low BGs and that's what you're getting. Way to go, CrystalAnn . . . good work.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
CrystalAnne, I too just started on Levemir flexpen. It really is no big deal. It hurts worse to test with meter than it does for an injection. I am doing Levemir x1 a day, and Humalog at mealtimes. My numbers went from low to mid 300's to low to mid 200's in the last two days. If this continues I will be quite pleased. Sticking with low-carbing (almost no carbs at this point until numbers get better) and exercise. Don't feel like you have lost any war. You are just intensifying the fight. I was very opposed to going back on insulin as well (I used it about a year or two ago and had no good results with it). I have become much more informed here and talked with my endo and she agreed with the combination of basal/bolus. It may not be forever...but it might be forever. If so, as long as I live a long healthy life with good bg's I will stick myself every day 5 times a day if need be. That is my goal. I am hoping my numbers will continue to drop day by day and by Christmas time I will be doing really well. Stay with us here...you will not be disappointed in the outcome!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone...It was good to hear all that from you.
This is a great place to get some encouraging support :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts