The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started on metformin last night, 500mg x2 daily. Until now, I can never get below 100 without a liver dump shooting it back up into the 120s-130s. When I am at work under stress, it can go into the 190s.:eek:

Any idea how long before I should be able to see some effect on my base bg level? Kinda hoping it could lower my "bounce" level about 20 points or so...

Surfer

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Met often takes 3-4 weeks to reach full strength blood levels, but that doesn't mean it isn't working in the interim. You may see changes in just a few days. Your dose is a good starting level, and if you get by without gastric side effects, my guess would be you could increase your dosage gradually over time, if you don't see as much improvement as you hoped for. What did your doc say about future increases?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said nothing about future increases yet, I almost had to twist his arm to get met to start with. It wasn't until I started mentioning the 190s from stress that he prescribed it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Howdy, it took about 10 days for me to notice Met working - and my sugars improved over time also.

With stress, one key might be exercise - it's a great stress reducer. If you're not exercising, MAKE THE TIME to do a little every day - it helps stress, insulin-resistance, burns glucose and just makes you feel better.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good for you for <almost> twisting his arm! ;)

Insulin resistance is the hallmark of type 2 diabetes & metformin is the absolute BEST treatment for insulin resistance - bar none. You may have to stand up to him more often if he gets stubborn about this - there's no excuse for withholding the meds that will lower your blood sugar. There are no other oral meds that work as well as met without damaging your pancreas.

But see how you do on the current dosage & cross that bridge when you come to it.

Take care. :cool:

·
Banned
158 Posts
It can take up to 6 weeks for you to start seeing improvement. I didn't see any improvement at 500 2x's a day dose, so my Doc tested my C-peptide and found out I wasn't producing enough insulin. So, we added Insulin and my numbers are normal now.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It's going to be different for different people. Metformin works in the liver by making you sensitive to your own insulin. So it needs to build up in your system. I started off on 500 then within a few days went to 1000. It lowered it somewhat but not enough. I then went to 1700 mg and could get my bgs to about 120-130. Finally I had to go to 2550 and a very low carb diet (30 carbs a day) before I saw bgs below 100. But as I said maybe that was just me. The low carb diet really helped me the most. Metformin does not allow you to eat more carbs as some D drugs do.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I wanted to add that it wasn't until AFTER I started the LC/HF diet that I achieved normal and stable BGs. Despite the Metformin and Insulin, normal and stable was not possible without reducing my daily intake of carbs to roughly 30-50 grams. Insulin isn't supposed to be used so you can keep eating the same amount of carbs. My Doc purposely prescribed just enough to get me close to normal and then challenged me to go the rest of the way downward by making dietary changes. I like that approach and it's working well for me. I've been going very hypo (meaning below 70) lately before meals that I'm actually going to need to start reducing my Insulin. But, I plan to discuss that with my Doc next week during my 1 month check-up.

·
Banned
158 Posts
"Very hypo"? Sounds pretty normal to me.
Nope - not normal at all. 70 is the lowest end of "normal." I've been going into the mid 50's, thus "very hypo." Then, as I stated, your body will send out all kinds of "alarm bells" to alert you to get yourself restored to normal. In which case, I do not over-correct, I just pop a glucose tablet and re-test at 20 minute intervals until I am back up to normal.

Then, I assess the situation and ask myself things like, how many carbs had I eaten, how long ago, etc. For instance, one time I had eaten a Taco salad and a few bites of the shell and just 2 hours later I was at 56. My Doc currently has me injecting 20 units pre-meal if my BG is 150 or less (and more if it's higher). What this tells me is that 20 units of Insulin is now too MUCH for me, especially if I'm having a no carb or very low carb meal. So, I'll be discussing my ideas of how to "fine tune" things with my Doc next week so I can maintain my target he has set for me which is 70-130. :)

Hope this helps clarify things a little better

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My Doc currently has me injecting 20 units pre-meal if my BG is 150 or less (and more if it's higher). What this tells me is that 20 units of Insulin is now too MUCH for me, especially if I'm having a no carb or very low carb meal. So, I'll be discussing my ideas of how to "fine tune" things with my Doc next week so I can maintain my target he has set for me which is 70-130. :)
I hope you'll tell your doc to deep six his sliding scale advice & help you calculate your insulin-to-carb ratio, so you can actually match your insulin to what you'll be eating.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I hope you'll tell your doc to deep six his sliding scale advice & help you calculate your insulin-to-carb ratio, so you can actually match your insulin to what you'll be eating.
Absolutely, girl !! :)

I could understand the need for a sliding scale when my BGs were still running very high because I would need extra Insulin since I was starting my mealtime with a high BG. But, the sliding scale stopped at 150, so he has me taking the same amount of Insulin for a pre-meal BG of 70 as I would for a 130 (I don't go up higher than that any more). That just doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

Then, to make matters even WORSE, if I eat my no carb Breakfast of eggs and bacon, I am going hypo in less than an hour, ESPECIALLY if I started Breakfast at a 70 BG.

It seems to me that the Insulin dose should not only consider my pre-meal BG, but ALSO the carbs I am going to eat at that meal.

He's probably going to fuss at me for not calling him every time I go below 70 as he instructed me to do. :(
Oh well, I don't like him much anyway, so I'll probably be changing sometime in the near future after we do my Thyroid Cancer follow-up testing and get my Thyroid meds re-calibrated.

I also want to see if he'll order those antibody tests that I've heard about here on the forum to see if I'm actually a Type 1.5. I kind of suspect that I am.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been a few days now, my insides are settling down a bit. My sugar tonight was 100 about 3 hours after a 30g carb meal (my current diet). This is better, since before it would get to 100 or so and then shoot back up on its own after 2 hrs. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm going to see a diff nutritionist but I fear the same ADA one-diet-for-all spiel again. The only ones in my area at at the hospitals and they are all "ADA certified diabetes educators" which seems to mean they have to spout the same line. I plan on bringing some ADA articles with me that point out the benefits of a low-carb diet... then we can have it out.:boxing:

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Heh - good luck with that. Yeah, I think the hospital nutritionists are in on the conspiracy of bad information. Sure would love to see your brawl though!

Congrats on your progress - that's super.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I was so blessed to have avoided that pitfall. I just learned what I know here and from Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Eades, and Dr. Atkins. Stress really can run up my numbers, so that's why I figure I'm blessed.

Do tell us all the details about your new visit. Yeah, I'd love to see that brawl! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: Met is kickin' in!

What a difference a day or two makes. Checking my bg every hr or so today and at 95-100 all day with only a small but normal spike from lunch. I feel kind hypo, really hungry and a little shaky. I double checked my meter against 2 others and its accurate. I'm guessing I'll get used to being <= 100 and won't "feel" low after I adjust to it.

Anybody else experience this?

Surfer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You nailed it Shanny... 4 days and I am seeing significant impact already. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What the heck?

Yesterday my numbers were great (100 or so) all day, though I felt like I was starving. Today I am eating the exact same things, same activities, and my BG has been rising steadily (now 147 2hr post lunch). What the heck?:confused:

Argh! :mad:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the world of diabetes. Although carbs do impact our bgs, other things like hormones, stress, illness and even exercise will also impact bgs. You can eat the same exact meal 21 times during the week and get 21 different readings. That is why many of us look for ranges not exact bgs. I find sometimes when I exrcise I spike, sometimes I don't. On a good day I keep my bgs beween 90-110. But every so often for no reason higher bgs just decide to pop up and stay around. It is very frustrating. Don't worry, although it is nice to have perfect bgs, I do think we all have those fluctuations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts