The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm so worn out and I cried at the doctor after the nurse practioner left. I'm keeping the Levemir, a little @ night and a little in the morning. But I still have these little jabs in my abdomin and wonder if they're from the Levemir. Then we're starting Novolog, maybe just at dinner. But for me the side effects come with the buildup of the medicine over time -- like 2 months down the road. I'm scared of it. Is one glass of milk a carb? A bowl of soup? A breadstick? I guess I have to have a class with the nutrionist but I eat a fraction of what they count on the sides with the nutritional information. I am not a scientist.
I had to change meters. FreeStyle is no longer covered under my insurance. So I switched to a Bayer Contour. What do I need to know?
I guess it's a snow day here in Minnesota tomorrow and I wanted to go get my hair done. Instead, I guess I'll be studying. I don't think the nurse even gave me any instructions on the Novolog -- just the sample pen to last me 30 days. :(
I am so tired.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi. I'm so worn out and I cried at the doctor after the nurse practioner left. I'm keeping the Levemir, a little @ night and a little in the morning. But I still have these little jabs in my abdomin and wonder if they're from the Levemir. Then we're starting Novolog, maybe just at dinner. But for me the side effects come with the buildup of the medicine over time -- like 2 months down the road. I'm scared of it. Is one glass of milk a carb? A bowl of soup? A breadstick? I guess I have to have a class with the nutrionist but I eat a fraction of what they count on the sides with the nutritional information. I am not a scientist.
I had to change meters. FreeStyle is no longer covered under my insurance. So I switched to a Bayer Contour. What do I need to know?
I guess it's a snow day here in Minnesota tomorrow and I wanted to go get my hair done. Instead, I guess I'll be studying. I don't think the nurse even gave me any instructions on the Novolog -- just the sample pen to last me 30 days. :(
I am so tired.
Just become a good label reader and note the amount of carbs per serving. It can be overwhelming at times. Once you see how effective Novolog is, maybe you can feel more at ease. Take care and let us know how we can help you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Breezy, I do already know quite a bit about carbs so that's a help. I'll have to make a cheat sheet of how much my milk is and my cereal and etc. I eat pretty much the same things every day so I should be able to memorize it pretty quickly.
For the rest, I don't want to notice many side effects from Novolog because I don't have many -- or any -- choices left. Anything I should watch out for, I didn't get a patient sheet with this because it's a sample. Tonight I want to eat everything and I know that's really bad. I followed a vegan diet from the LIfestyles of American diabetes plan for 3 months and did great! Oh! What is the matter with me? Where did my discipline go? Don't tell me, I don't want to know because it know it's somewhere warm . . . . .

·
Registered
633 Posts
You can relax because there is not a more natural medicine on the market. Insulin is the best. There are no side effects and it is an exact DNA replica to what your own body makes. Some people say that hypoglycimia is a side effect but thats is what it is supposed to do so not a side effect. There is also no build up of insulin in the body and novalog works fast and leaves just about as fast as it works. You will see and you will love it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tHANK YOU! How do I post on other areas on the forum. I see you are a "Senior Member." On another area I got a lot of "You may not's" . . . how does that change?

·
Registered
633 Posts
It has to do with the number of posts you have made. I am not sure what the minimum number is to get more access but just keep posting and you will see when your staus changes

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am so tired.
Insulin does not "build-up" in your system like a drug. Insulin is a naturally occurring hormone in your body. I take novolog everyday...all day long. I use an insulin pump and it gives me novolog constantly. Novolog becomes "active" in your body within a few minutes after injection and is pretty much gone within 4 hours or so. Its perfectly safe. The only so-called side effect can be hyoglycemia, but it is an insulin, and that is what insulin is supposed to do. You just have to be mindful of how many carbs you are eating in ratio to how much insulin you are taking. A class in carb counting is going to be very beneficial for you. I hope you are going to see a diabetes educator or dietitian through your doctors office. If not, please request one. Get yourself a carb counting book, it will be invaluable to you. Calorieking.com is an awesome place to find carb counts of many foods (including restaurants and fast foods).

I promise, this does get easier and you really do get used to it! Please, ask anything that we can help you with :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts