The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Am so glad to find a forum of people who have the same condition as I now find myself with.
I was diagnosed as a type 2 on the 2nd of June 2011.
Still trying to get my head around some of the changes that I need to make to my lifestyle.
Sure is weird how things work out, it is only 4 weeks ago that I had my last cigarette a week after that I'm diabetic.
Looking forward to surfing the forum and reading as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The same thing happened to me in February after kicking the cigarettes mid-January. Coincidence or not? I wonder.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome **** - this forum is where I landed right after my dx in February and it was (and is!) invaluable as a source for information and support.

Well, the universe surely wants you to be healthy :) Sometimes I think piling on change is better than a trickle - getting it the heck going all at once.

Congrats on quitting smoking - that's awesome. Making changes in your lifestyle and diet could be a near breeze in comparison.

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: ****! Glad to have you here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.
Not much more that I can add.
Was on metformin 500mg tablets, one tablet twice a day, but they had some unwanted side effects on my stomach. so for the next few days the doc has me pill free. I then start back at one tablet per day.
Dont have a glucose machine yet, trying to work out the most suitable.

G

·
Welcome **** :D you've probably got lots to learn and this is a great place to share and learn stuff too. I hope you can get your head around everything as I remember the feeling when newly diagnosed and how overwhelming it can be. In regard to glucometers... I use Accu-Check Performa Nano which I find to be quite good. Also I noticed you're living in SA... so don't forget to register with NDSS so you can get discounts on your testing products. If you have private health insurance, they usually cover the cost of glucometer too. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts