The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
After 3 years of no-meds controlled self-treatment (generally very controlled no-grain&starch diet + regular exercise) with quite good HbA1Cs (7.8, 6.7, 5.7, 5.6, 5.7) after my last higher HbA1C of 7.3 with constant FG above 120, my doctor (a new one) thinks I should start with levemir.

I am curious how to manage taking levemir and doing exercise? I used to bring by BG down with exercise. I never, in my 3 years had any experiences of low blood sugar.

Now I am about to become a father for the first time and I am quite afraid of any accidents with low blood sugar coming out of a comination of levemir and exercise.

Please help!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Most people take it at night before bed but some take it morning and night..no exercise right before or after you take it...you have to constantly monitor your levels during exercise and keep something on hand that will raise your level quickly. Hope that helps...maybe someone else will have a better answer for you.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am on 6U per evening for my Dawn Phenomenon. I got up to 12U but I developed an appetite, and a gut, so backed down again.

I run 2 - 3 times per week.

I have never had a hypo. I tasted my glucose tabs once, to see what they were like ...

Not saying you will see the same thing, I have LADA insulin insufficiency AND some resistance, of course, nobody knows the source of resistance in any of us though.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi Dusper,

I'm a new boy having only been diagnosed last month. My doctor started me with Levemir from day 1 along with Prandin to control meal spikes. The Levemir was to be taken only at night and the starting dose was 20 units. I'm now taking 6 units per night and the Prandin is gathering dust in the cupboard.

The point about Levemir (a basal insulin) is that it's slow acting and kicks in about 4 hours after the dose and lasts for about 8 hours. What it should do, I think, is pull down your fasting blood sugar level a bit but post meal control remains in your hands using diet and exercise (and possibly other medication).

As I say, I've only got a short experience to report on but I have to say that I've yet to have a hypo problem on my present regime but whilst you need to keep using the meter, I don't think your Levemir will complicate the issue.

Perhaps some of the more experienced users will be able to either confirm or :eek: (more important) contradict me?

John

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi!
After 3 years of no-meds controlled self-treatment (generally very controlled no-grain&starch diet + regular exercise) with quite good HbA1Cs (7.8, 6.7, 5.7, 5.6, 5.7) after my last higher HbA1C of 7.3 with constant FG above 120, my doctor (a new one) thinks I should start with levemir.

I am curious how to manage taking levemir and doing exercise? I used to bring by BG down with exercise. I never, in my 3 years had any experiences of low blood sugar.

Now I am about to become a father for the first time and I am quite afraid of any accidents with low blood sugar coming out of a comination of levemir and exercise.

Please help!
levemir is a long acting basal insulin that usually provides around 24 hour coverage. Thats why they tell you to take it the same time every day. I know when I was taking a basal insulin I split my dose and took it in the morning and at night since it worked better for me that way. What I would suggest with exercising is the same when you are taking any insulin, test before you exercise, during the exercise at least once, and afterwards. See how your blood sugar reacts. I have found that mine tends to go up a little as I exercise, then drops off at the end. If I *do* get hypo its usually about an hour or two after I work out. Exercise reduces your insulin resistance so the hypo might come later. You will learn how your body reacts to it :) I always keep a *real* sugared sports drink with me when I am seriously working out and I will occasionally take a sip of it. That usually keeps me from getting hypo. But the only way to know your body is to test, test, test :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts