The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read Dr. Eades blog and today it contained an article which I found very interesting concerning Statins and diabetes. I was put on one briefly for about 6 months following a mild stroke altho' my cholesterol was not over the normal limit about 5 years ago. After it was determined that the stroke was most likely caused by my too much hemoglobin I quit taking it. That's about when my BG started to climb, so I was very interested in his 'take' on women and statins. You might find it interesting...
The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Statins and diabetes Be sure to watch his video!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I always forget to go to his blog he is great.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I really think I am going to address the topic of the statin I'm on with my cardio doc and the benefits versus the risks, aside from the fact that it raises bg's. Very interesting information.

Reactions: jwags and Daytona

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I guess what makes me mad about this, is we are being used as guinea pigs so the drug companies can make more money. I was also pushed into using a statin drug. I was told it was so important for a diabetic and the drugs were so safe. Of course after 15 months of the statin most of my muscles were destroyed and I felt like I had aged 20 years. My memory and balance were also affected and my BP dropped so low I was dizzy all the time. Not to mention my bgs went through the roof. I finally pulled myself off of it on my own which I know can be dangerous but I couldn't live like that. My doctor called it Toxic Statin Myopathy. The wierd thing is this year we were applying for new rates on our health insurance. We had to go through the underwriting policy to see if we could raise our deductible and lower our rates. When they sent us the letter approving the change they listed the insurance codes for our pre exhisting conditions. Statin Myopathy was right after diabetes. So not only do they push this drug on us but when we have complications then it becomes a pre exhisting condition that raises our rates. They get you coming and going.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts