The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems prescription-by-email is a two-edged sword ...

So I just got an email from my Dr. She'd like me to start Simvastatin/Zocor right away. I wrote back, basically asking her to hold off a bit, 'cause I haven't really tried diet and exercise until now (felt too lousy to exercise, didn't know I needed a diabetic diet ...).

Also, from what I understand, the possible side effects are very much like the symptoms I had when I was at my worst.

On April 1, my LDL was 198. HDL was 52.

Am I being too-too stubborn? Or am I just taking reasonable steps to keep functioning?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Usually after about 6 months on a Low Carb diet, LDL numbers will go down. Also by incorperating Coconut Oil in your diet you can raise your HDL. A high HDL decreases any heart risk. I gave into my doctor and went on Statins for 14 months until it almost killed me. Every muscle and joint in my body was inflammed. Eventually it ate away at my muscles until I was so weak and tired. I felt like I had aged 30 years in 3 months. I took myself off of them and within a few weeks felt 100% better. I have been off of them for about 9 months but still have some residual muscle damage. I would do your own research and decide for yourself. A lot of the statin studies don't really show a benefit. I feel that doctors would rather their patients be on a pill rather than eat a healthy diet.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jen. This confirms my independent findings. Compulsive Researcher, reporting!

CONCLUSION: I am not doing all this hard work just so's I can add something new that re-inflicts pain, weakness and brain fog, while sending my BGLs kerflooey. Not going back to Square One.

(If numbers deteriorate, I may reconsider.)

Coconut oil's yummy! As a new junkie, I'm using it even if it does diddly for HDLs, LDLs -- or LoLs, for that matter.

Reactions: jwags
1 - 3 of 3 Posts