The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you stay positive? I struggle some days with the D, especially when the symptoms are particularly bad and/or numbers are not where I want them. I'm interested to know how everyone keeps it going, what motivates you, etc.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just try to look at the bright side of everything. I'm a "sweet person" along with millions of other sweet people. I have finely learned what was causing the problem and I now have an idea how to control it. I concentrate on what I'm eating and trying to losing weight. If my numbers aren't right I change what I'm doing to get then right. It's a challenges to work it out and I consider it a personal accomplishment when I do. I look at Doctor appointments as confirmation of my success. If my numbers are bad then I buckle my ass down and get back to work finding the problem and correcting it.

bugg:) loves that Breyers Ice cream

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I'm fortunate that in spite of my high numbers at dx when I had almost every symptom, that once I got my bg under control I have no symptoms. But I'm also fortunate that I was =so= sick when I was dx'ed that the memory of that is fresh and makes me tow the line to do everything possible to keep my numbers in range.

My motivation? Oh, big things (not wanting the Big Symptoms) and little things (wanting a good reading when I test in a few hours). I find my frequent testing to have two purposes:

1. knowing what's going on with my body, how it's reacting to what I'm doing (diet and exercise)
2. keeping me from cheating or going into denial

I'm sure there will come a time when I struggle with motivation, I'm just too recently dx'ed to have reached that place.

What symptoms have you struggling?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
What motivates me?

Fear of going blind. I do not fear death, but being blind will lead me to wanting a quick death.

G

·
I think having an attitude of acceptance plus gratitude helps at times. I've been through all the different troughs.... and to be honest I've learnt to not take things too hard and just learn to get on with doing what I know works for me. I used to stress constantly about my BGL readings... but that didn't help me... stress in itself is a BGL killer. People are always so full of opinions on everything when it comes to my health and if I listened to and applied every single bit of advice I'd be messed up. I think the best person that understands me is me... sometimes I diagnose my own problems healthwise anyhow and doc just confirms it for me. Interestingly for me at the moment everyone around me is insisting I go off all my meds and try the 'natural' stuff. I think that may be partly because they believe the meds got me in a mess (which I believe they did too)... but diabetes is serious and I can't just ignore docs advice on that and any other chronic condition. I just keep my chin up :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was, in general, trying to get a sense of how everyone copes with the day-to-day battle with Diabetes.

@Moon - Wow, how much time do we have? What do I owe you for the session? :) What's got me down? Neuropathy in the feet/legs. I can deal with the pain, but the coldness/tingling bothers me most.

Me - I try to stay positive and I get a real joy out of talking to others about my diabetes. Sharing what I have learned, my outcomes, my history, etc. If I can help someone else who's struggling, I feel like I've accomplished something. I also try to be a beacon for my kids to eat well, excercise, etc.

I'm not a runner (by any stretch), but I'm also training for my 2nd 5K run in July and hope to run a 1/2 Marathon in October.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Although I don't have neuropathy, I understand from reading accounts of other that it can improve with glucose control - not always, but often enough to be interesting.

Sounds as though you have a positive spirit and are managing quite well. What a gift to guide your kids in healthy eating, and what skills you have if they'll listen!

Btw - some years ago I went to Greenville for an exhibit at the Museum of Art and (getting to the food part!) had a wonderful lunch at a Thai restaurant in your very nice downtown. Ah, life BD ... before diabetes ... and with rice.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm positive I hate diabetes! :D

Far worse, however, is running (well, slithering) around as an undiagnosed diabetic. I feel as though I've been given a second chance.

I have all the willpower of a baggie afloat on the breeze. But feeling better than I have in years is a powerful motivator, even for me. Energy's increasing, brain fog's clearing, limbs feel more like normal people's do, vision is stabilizing.

My life's coming back! Maybe now I can do something useful with it.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Totally agree with Shaylynne! I remember a year ago when I had the fatigue and other symptoms (before dx) and really could barely function. Now I have sooo much more energy and a much better outlook. And I lost enough weight to fit back into some of my prettier "happy" clothes.

I smiled to myself last night at the grocery store.... I remember how long it used to take to shop. Now I avoid many of the aisles and get done in about 15 minutes. No need to go down the chip, pasta, cookie, cake, candy, ice cream, or pizza aisles! And I don't miss the junk I used to eat. That was when I realized I finally had moved away from the feelings of longing for the old life. I know I can eat this way and be totally happy.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw my GP today for annual follow-up and he is slightly concerned that the circulation in the left foot is weaker than the left. He's referred me out to a vascular doc next week. What strikes me as odd, or I think is odd, is the problem is much worse in my left foot than right. I always understood neuropathy to affect both feet/legs equally. He's started me on Metanx to see if that helps - got about a month's supply of samples.

As for Greenville, it is a beautiful and friendly city. We're transplants from up north - friends refer to us as "damn Yankees" because we stayed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do i stay positive, i pray, end of story. I have have bad arthritis is my back, i'm sick most of the time, other joints in my body talk to me all the time so there is never a day when i'm not in pain ranging from moderate to severe and couple my diabetes on top of it i got a reason i could be depressed all the time, but i'm not, tho at times i still fight depression. I get to go to work, i want to work and i do and this despite drs telling me for years to go on ssd. I get to live live a man and not give in to the need for comfort all the time. I learned a long time ago that if i'm feeling bad physically or emotionally it doesn't mean i'm not okay. The only time you fail is when you give up and give into the pain.

I have it better than i deserve, i have a wife, family, and friends that love me and that i love. As long as i have someone to love there is always a reason to forget the pain, get up and get going.

I lived a wild life for a lot of years and did alot of hard work so i earned the aches and pain i have . I didn't just sit on the sidelines and watch i got in it. I continue to enjoy it always will.

Alot of people have it worse off than me so i thank God every day for what i do have.

Mikey

G

·
Mikey... I hear ya coz pain does make diabetes harder to manage. I'll pray you be pain free that would be wonderful wouldn't it. :D I certainly see the effects on my BGLs with pain and stress... never mind the food (as in it's not the only thing to consider, not ignore it. lol).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts