The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big fan of Stevia. it is natural and has no know toxic effects, and possibly even promotes insulin production, helping to reverse diabetes.

Xylitol seems to be safe enough...

Apspartame on the other hand... Carcinegenic! its a proven poison. FDA approval was a farce, and pushed through by the sweetner industry in the early 80's...The same people who, still today, try to block Stevia from the market.

Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Xylitol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aspartame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rent the movie Sweet Misery from Netflix for the truth.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I prefer Erythitol and stevia blend when I am baking, I think it helps with the texture. When buying stevia make sure you read the label. Some stevia is bulked up with Dextrose. I made that mistake when I bought Raw stevia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is erythritol safe? I currently use Sweetleaf, which is pure Stevia in order to avoid fillers like dextrose as you suggest. Admittedly it doesn't taste as good as the ones with the fillers though.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Xylitol makes me spend to much time in the small room. Stevia I can not bare the chemical taste I get from it. I use Erythritol mostly when I can, it is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found mostly in pears I think.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Xylitol makes me spend to much time in the small room. Stevia I can not bare the chemical taste I get from it. I use Erythritol mostly when I can, it is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found mostly in pears I think.
MCS, so are you saying the Erythritol does not affect you the way Xylitol or any of the other sugar alcohols (such as Splenda) does? I have been looking into that since I would like to cut back on the Aspartame usage. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Erythritol is mostly not absorbed into the large intestine, but excreted through the urine, which differentiates it from the other sugar alcohols like xylitol. That's why it doesn't have the same gastric effects of the others.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I seem to have very little gastric upset with Erythritol vs Xylitol. If I make a frosting and eat an over abundance of it I will get a mild sensation like , Oh what did I eat, but that is all. When I make something sweet I usually add a variety of sweeteners. It seems to work much better than just using a single one. I use Sachrin and Aspertame mixed 50/50 in some things and it comes out as close to sugar as sugar itself. When I use Erythritol I always add another sweetener to go with it, it cuts done on the cooling effect from the sugar alcohol.

MCS, so are you saying the Erythritol does not affect you the way Xylitol or any of the other sugar alcohols (such as Splenda) does? I have been looking into that since I would like to cut back on the Aspartame usage. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Apspartame on the other hand... Carcinegenic! its a proven poison.
I hate to tell you this ... but NO study has ever shown aspartame to be carcinogenic. Period.

The only studies showing correlation have never shown causality, and the vast majority were on rats, and aside from the RATS (instead of human) subjects, were flawed in other ways.

All the research shows it's safe, in fact. Unless you're a RAT (or mouse). Then again, supposedly anything fed in high enough doses (with enough refined carbohydrates added to the mix) will cause rats cancer...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I also have my best results from Stevia and from Erythritol.

Splenda can spike me (especially the 'for baking') kind.

So far all sweeteners seem to have some impact on my insulin levels though, even if they don't affect my BG's. This is why I only drink diet drinks (soda, crystal lite, etc.) with meals now - I don't like the cravings I got after drinking them alone.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I also have my best results from Stevia and from Erythritol.

Splenda can spike me (especially the 'for baking') kind.

So far all sweeteners seem to have some impact on my insulin levels though, even if they don't affect my BG's. This is why I only drink diet drinks (soda, crystal lite, etc.) with meals now - I don't like the cravings I got after drinking them alone.
I have had the same experiences as Beefy. If I must then I use Stevia but mostly I avoid sweeteners to prevent cravings, hunger and insulin spikes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I use stevia alone, I do get an aftertaste which I don't like. I even bought the organic kind which looks like an herb. I get 0 spike from Erythitol and usually my bg goes down not up with it. I do have some Xyitol but do get some gastric side effects with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All of the 'itols' cause me tremendous gastric upset - except erythritol. As the earlier poster pointed out most of it passes into the urine stream unprocessed. Zevia is a brand of soda sweetened using Stevia and erythritol. Outstanding flavor. Has 7 grams carbs but those are from the erythritol and, as noted, that means most of those carbs will pass on thru undigested and not impact bgs.

http://www.zevia.com

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have tried many brands of stevia...here I was thinking they'd all taste the same but they dont!

I must have grown accustomed to the after taste as I don't mind it at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with you d33. I am sticking with stevia. I am used to it as well. May use the others occasionally but stevia is the one in my cupboard.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my stevia. It is simple to grow, and easy to make an extract. Sure, you have to get over a little aftertaste, but then again, after diagnosis, I had to get over the aspartame or Splenda taste anyway.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I just found a source for Xylitol here in Stockholm and love it! It does not affect me in any way and I prefer it to the taste of aspartame, Saccharine or many of the other artificial sweeteners. I have not tried Stevia but am happy with the Xylitol so I'll stick with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts