The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a dubious opinion of artificial sweeteners and aren’t inclined to use splenda or other such sweeteners, but I am interested in stevia, given that it’s natural. Of course, natural doesn’t necessarily mean healthy or safe. Sugar is natural but isn’t healthy for anyone in large quantities; the mushrooms in my lawn are natural, but they might be deadly. Anyway, I’ve heard that stevia is unsafe and I’ve heard that it’s totally safe, but I haven’t heard a lot about it from any impartial source (i.e., from someone who sells neither stevia nor a competing sweetener). So, given that many people here use stevia, I’m wondering what your opinion of it is, both whether it’s completely free of health concerns and whether you just like using it, given its cost, taste, ease of use, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I tried stevia and I don't use it. My sweeteners of choice are liquid sucralose (EZ-Sweetz concentrated drops) and granulated erythritol. Neither of these affects my blood sugar and both work well in cooking/baking. Neither is "beefed up" with other ingredients. By that, I refer to the popular granulated sucralose Splenda and its siblings, which consist primarily of maltodextrin, which spikes me. If I remember right, the particular stevia product I tried was also combined with maltodextrin.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am on an organic diet and the only sweetner they allow is stevia because it comes from a leaf. I use only a little at a time because I think it is overly sweet. I tend to drink things like coffee black. When I make baked goods or my low carb waffles I throw in a little Torani flavored syrup or unsweet coconut.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My wife and I have a dubious opinion of artificial sweeteners and aren’t inclined to use splenda or other such sweeteners, but I am interested in stevia, given that it’s natural. Of course, natural doesn’t necessarily mean healthy or safe. Sugar is natural but isn’t healthy for anyone in large quantities; the mushrooms in my lawn are natural, but they might be deadly. Anyway, I’ve heard that stevia is unsafe and I’ve heard that it’s totally safe, but I haven’t heard a lot about it from any impartial source (i.e., from someone who sells neither stevia nor a competing sweetener). So, given that many people here use stevia, I’m wondering what your opinion of it is, both whether it’s completely free of health concerns and whether you just like using it, given its cost, taste, ease of use, etc. Thanks.
I see Stevia recommended by most of my books on diabetes, above all others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I regularly drink stuff with stevia. Zevia soda and Steaz brands of green tea based sodas. It's delicious and doesn't spike my sugar at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts