The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that here in the UK Morrisons supermarkets are now selling a range of Stevia products. Bought the sweeteners £3.99 for 300. I normally use a cyclamate based sweetener and the Stevia tastes a bit different from that. However, its natural so I think its worth giving it a go.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
I use it. I have a jar of the powdered stuff that's the same as what's in the packets. Cheaper that way. I also have Truvia, which is a mixture of erythritol and stevia.

Stevia can have a bitter aftertaste, especially if you use too much of it. Because of this, I will cut it with another sweetener if the item to be sweetened doesn't have a strong flavor. Straight stevia is great with lemon and ginger (I actually prefer stevia with these).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Stevia is a taste you have to get used to. If I use it for baking I usually use the Truvia which is a combination of stevia and erythitol. When buying stevia make sure you read the label. Many manufacturers bulk the stevia up with dextrose. I bought Raw Stevia once and was shocked to find dextrose in it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I tried Truvia & the taste was okay, but the strong sweet aroma was off-putting for me. Now the old woodchopper is trying out Sweetleaf drops, which he says are okay, but there seems to still be the aroma, because when he sat down beside me with his coffee last night, it smelled good & I had to ask what he was drinking. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts