The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

As diagnosed 2 months ago, the hardest thing to me is still to learn and understand what/when/how to eat. Travelling through all Brazilian States, besides USA and some European countries doesn´t help me aswell, because is hard to have a routine and sometimes is not so easy to find something you should eat.

But, my big challenge is to understand how can I eat the same thing in different ocasions and have so many different results on my tests.

For example, I have made a comparison in between yesterday and today.

Yesterday
Fasting 92
Breakfast: Omelet with 2 white eggs, green tea, 1 slice whole wheat bread with light cream cheese. Black coffe with aspartame.
2 hours after breakfast: 110
Lunch: Green salad and 6 Capeletti tablespoons
1 hour after lunch: 140
2 hours after lunch: 132

Today
Fasting 87
Breakfast: Omelet with 2 white eggs, green tea, 1 slice whole wheat bread with light cream cheese. Black coffe with aspartame.
Lunch: Green salad, 4 Capeletti tablespoons, 1 small grilled beef (low fat)
1 hour after lunch: 185:eek:

BTW: Tested twice with clean hands. And YES, Capelettis was leftovers but was great! The only problem I think they are trying to kill me.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi there

As diagnosed 2 months ago, the hardest thing to me is still to learn and understand what/when/how to eat. Travelling through all Brazilian States, besides USA and some European countries doesn´t help me aswell, because is hard to have a routine and sometimes is not so easy to find something you should eat.

But, my big challenge is to understand how can I eat the same thing in different ocasions and have so many different results on my tests.

Yesterday
Fasting 92

Today
Fasting 87

BTW: Tested twice with clean hands. And YES, Capelettis was leftovers but was great! The only problem I think they are trying to kill me.
i would cut out the bread. theres no need for it, it just raises your numbers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would cut out the bread. theres no need for it, it just raises your numbers
Thank you ThoseBackPages. I started 2 months ago eating only bread with cream cheese or cottage at breakfast (it´s hard to convince an endo about a breakfast with eggs here in Brazil) and now I see the only thing I will not eat will be bread.

Anyway, the most weird thing to me was why my BG was so high after lunch today, even eating less carbs than yesterday.

BTW, tested again now (2 hours pp) and had 87. It doesn´t make sense for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there

Yesterday
Fasting 92

Today
Fasting 87

hi Fabio
You're welcom
Fabio, be happy don't worry, the doctor help you and not to kill you. Do not be obsessed with numbers.It is good to eat healthy food but the balance of blood glucose also varies depending on our temperament (stress, fear, anxiety etc. ..). it's normal that your blood sugar varies from one day to another with an insignificant difference. Do not panic one day you'll get used to the routine diabet.And i strongly advise you to follow the advice of your doctor.
Awaleh.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's possible - actually it's PROBABLE - that the reheated capelettis are the villain. Undercooked pasta makes less of an impact right away, but every time it's warmed up & cooks a little more, BOOM! More easily digested and more quickly raises the BG. Bread & pasta both are suspect more often than not.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's possible - actually it's PROBABLE - that the reheated capelettis are the villain. Undercooked pasta makes less of an impact right away, but every time it's warmed up & cooks a little more, BOOM! More easily digested and more quickly raises the BG. Bread & pasta both are suspect more often than not.
I totally agree. The more that pasta (or any starchy item) is cooked, the more easily-digested the sugars are, and the more it will spike you. And yes, this includes re-heating them.

I'm also finding I can't eat ANY commercial whole-wheat bread. I haven't tried making my own yet, but would like to. I can eat SMALL amounts (1 piece every few days) of sprouted grain bread.

Interestingly, the more I cut out breads and cereals, the less I crave them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the tip, Shanny. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have had to give up most breads. In the US they do have low carb bread and low carb tortillas. They also have Sprouted grain bread which is much kinder on my bg levels. I haven't found any pasta I can eat safely and still stay under 120 at 2 hours, so I just don't eat it. Eating out is very difficult for me. You have no idea what they put in their salad dressings. I have even heard some restaurant put pancake batter in their eggs to make them fluffy. If you can go online first and see if the restaurant has a menu with carb values that can help you choose options. Also many of us find we can tolerate certain foods at certain times of the day but not others. I can tolerate more food in the late afternoon and evening than in the morning. I also found switching up the timing of taking my metformin makes a big difference in bg numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts