The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a few times about this so sorry to repeat...
Diagnosed last year..A1C at 10.8
Last weeks lab A1C at 5.6 ....happy about that and no medicine for now
By the way, the results from a Bayer A1C test a few weeks ago was 5.5

Been having blurred vision for 4-6 weeks. Went to Opth who said I have just a little retinapathy but the blurred vision is from going from high BS to lower BS. I think he is right, and some here have validated that. It is getting better slightly each day. Here is the problem - literally blinded by sunlight. Just horrible. Anyone experience this and will it go away, improve or is it permanent? It is not only blinding while in the sunlight but lingers long after. Is this from the diabetes? I do wear sunglasses and live in Florida. Shall I move to Seattle?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Before I had my cataract surgeries, I gained relief from sensitivity to the sun by wearing night-driving glasses with yellow lenses. I even inquired of a local optometrist if they afforded the same protection as darker sunglasses, and he confirmed they do. Might be worth a try . . . they aren't unduly expensive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have posted a few times about this so sorry to repeat...
Diagnosed last year..A1C at 10.8
Last weeks lab A1C at 5.6 ....happy about that and no medicine for now
By the way, the results from a Bayer A1C test a few weeks ago was 5.5

Been having blurred vision for 4-6 weeks. Went to Opth who said I have just a little retinapathy but the blurred vision is from going from high BS to lower BS. I think he is right, and some here have validated that. It is getting better slightly each day. Here is the problem - literally blinded by sunlight. Just horrible. Anyone experience this and will it go away, improve or is it permanent? It is not only blinding while in the sunlight but lingers long after. Is this from the diabetes? I do wear sunglasses and live in Florida. Shall I move to Seattle?

So funny you are from Florida and mentioned moving to Seattle - I'm from Portland and dying to move to Florida! Though you were probably joking, just to let you know Portland and Seattle are pretty much the same - rainy gray days 9 months of the year, HOWEVER, when the sun does shine? It is absolutely blinding. I feel like because of my diabetes, I need to move to Florida because I need access to a beach 24/7 to keep my stress down :D

You might want to do what I did with my sunlight blindness problem. I had to buy sunglasses that literally enclosed my eyes inside them. Looked funny, but it certainly helped.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You could move to Cleveland. We haven't seen the sun in about a week. My eyes have always been sensitive to sun even before diabetes. I have to wear the darkest sun glasses possible. My HbA1c started out at 10.2 but fell much slower, so I didn't get the severe vision disrutpion. But I have heard others complain. It does clear up as your bgs stabalise. Also sometime people will experience more neuropathy in this period of transition. I have known people who went out and bought cheap reading glasses at CVS in differing strengths to get through this transition. After 4 years my long distance vision is so much better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before I had my cataract surgeries, I gained relief from sensitivity to the sun by wearing night-driving glasses with yellow lenses. I even inquired of a local optometrist if they afforded the same protection as darker sunglasses, and he confirmed they do. Might be worth a try . . . they aren't unduly expensive.
Hi Shanny,
Where did you find those yellow glasses?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So funny you are from Florida and mentioned moving to Seattle - I'm from Portland and dying to move to Florida! Though you were probably joking, just to let you know Portland and Seattle are pretty much the same - rainy gray days 9 months of the year, HOWEVER, when the sun does shine? It is absolutely blinding. I feel like because of my diabetes, I need to move to Florida because I need access to a beach 24/7 to keep my stress down :D

You might want to do what I did with my sunlight blindness problem. I had to buy sunglasses that literally enclosed my eyes inside them. Looked funny, but it certainly helped.
I need light therapy but not like this. Actually, we hardly ever go to the beach. I'm not sure I could survive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could move to Cleveland. We haven't seen the sun in about a week. My eyes have always been sensitive to sun even before diabetes. I have to wear the darkest sun glasses possible. My HbA1c started out at 10.2 but fell much slower, so I didn't get the severe vision disrutpion. But I have heard others complain. It does clear up as your bgs stabalise. Also sometime people will experience more neuropathy in this period of transition. I have known people who went out and bought cheap reading glasses at CVS in differing strengths to get through this transition. After 4 years my long distance vision is so much better.
That's good to hear. Yes, the neuropathy does seem elevated these day. I ordered the Thermoskin slippers and will report on their effectiveness.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Shanny,
Where did you find those yellow glasses?
Always by mail order, since we're in the backwoods of the Ozarks & not much choice in the stores around here. Google polarized night driving glasses and you'll find many sources.

They relieved my sensitive eyes from bright light & glare (I used the wraparound style), but I don't recommend these for driving at night just because any tinted lens reduces your night vision. For people needing to drive in the dark a better choice is to use glasses with anti-reflective lenses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts