The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually test (fasting) when I wake up (in bed). Breakfast is usually an hour or two (maybe even three) later. I know that in that time my BG will continue to rise because of me not eating and the liver dumping into my blood stream.

Over the last few days I've taken a new approach. As soon as I test on waking up I have my metformin (the dose I am supposed to have with breakfast). Since metformin is supposed to stop the liver dumping I think I am stopping my BG from rising.

Do you guys suggest this is a good approach ? Have metformin upto 2-3 hours before a meal ?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I usually take my metformin on an empty stomach - doesn't bother me one way or the other. Once in awhile, if I've forgotten to take my meds, I wind up taking both morning & night at the same time, which is 2000mg of met all at once. Still never bothers me. If taking it early works in arresting your DP, by all means do it! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
How is your blood sugar after the meal when you take the Metformin earlier?

I'd say if it prevents your BG from rising and still gives you good numbers 1.5-2h after breakfast it is a great idea!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this I've seen no effect on my post breakfast numbers. Thanks because I usually am having literally no carbs for breakfast (or maybe under 10). Luckily I have not had the gastric issues with Metformin either

But the BG remains stable from fasting to pre breakfast. I figured this as the metformin said that it had a half life of 6.5 hours.

Worked out for me. I was curious about what you guys thought of this and if anyone else was trying this as well.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the morning 'dumps' too.:eek:hwell: Nothing I have done has stopped it. wine before bed, a bite of cheese, all 4 of metform, upping my lantus to 25u. My morning ## are all over the place.
yesterday AM 172. Then after eating & before lunch 109. after dinner 89.
now this morning its 122. before eating.

I now just take 2metform (1000) & glipizide with or before I eat breakfast. must be why my lunch time # are always lower. I got over worrying about my high am ##. and my weight not dropping.

I just can't worry about everything at once. So I don't. lol It is what it is. and I just take it one day at a time. I know my carb count is good. My A1c is 6. I am happy my Doc is happy. :amen:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think sometimes being too fixated on an outcome makes it harder for me to achieve it...if that makes any sense...if I relax things improve

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do something similar. As soon as I wake up I take my first 850 metformin. But I still need to eat something small to stop the dumping. I also take my 2nd dose of metformin 850 around 10 am because I usualy bet a secondary dump around 11 am. I take my last metformin right before bed. As far as liver dumping the only way I can somewhat control is to stay very low carb. If I go much above 30 carbs a day I start to dump big time.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The only thing that stops a liver dump for me is to eat. If I wake up, I usually have breakfast right away.

If I have to wait a couple hours, I'll eat some cheese or something similar... eating is the ONLY thing that stops a dump for many of us.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
709 Posts
I take Metformin 1 x 500 ER normally at night, but will miss tonights dose & take in morning after breakfast & keep record of any changes, worth a try, my doc recommends I take it in the evenings with evening meal to prevent stomach upsets, but I didnt have too much of an upset stomach when I 1st started taking it & now I usually just take it when I go to bed as I found if I took it earlier in evening with meal then I was having higher morning numbers.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've tried every way there is to take my metformin; one in AM and one in PM, both in PM, both in AM....and on and on. Nothing seems to work for my DP either. I've tried eating different things before bed, but still nothing. I actually was bad one night and ate a cinnamon roll. My morning bg was actually lowest I've had in a long time! Go figure.
I have never really had gastric problems with metformin (except after first beginning it, a little bit of diarrhea, but that only lasted a week or two). I've been on it for a few years now, and don't really experience any gastric problems. However, if I take my metformin and don't eat for a while afterwards, I will get either a small bout of diarrhea or extreme gas. So, I try to eat within 15-20 minutes of taking it. Just my experience of course. And I know, the diarrhea part is TMI, but thought I would share!

·
Registered
709 Posts
No such thing as TMI here!!! Or diarrhea!!!! lol My stomach tolerates the Met really well but I am only taking 1 x 500mg ER a day not sure how I'd go if/when I need to increase.

I am so excited I found Golden flaxseed &&&&&& Almond meal today at local shops very pricey for small quantities though will be using sparingly, no coconut oil anywhere in town though, I am going to a larger town tomorrow so will check if any asian shops that may sell it, I am trying to slightly decrease my protein & increase my fat intake so coconut oil would be helpful.

That was weird you had low BG after having a cinnamon roll going to bed, sometimes it is just so hard to fathom, Ive had brain fog & headaches all weekend & so lethargic which I just hate, but suspect this is due to my % of food choices so trying to tweak it a bit more.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Indian supermarkets sell coconut oil...well in Perth they do :)

Try Woollies for the Almond Meal and Psyllium Husks..Coconut Flour and Golden flax I found in the health food shops

Just a reminder....Macadamia Nuts and 7 net carbs per cup...Ive started using them in place of almond...ohmygosh are they good...I baked some the other day with sugarfree maple syrup (Queens brand in Coles)...awesomeeeeee

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Catherine, I hope you will not have to increase the metformin, but if you do it really isn't a big deal. I'm glad you found the items in stores around you. They are pricey, even here in the states. I bought my almond flour, coconut flour, and erythritol online because I could get it cheaper that way. I also bought my coconut oil online because they were having a special. It is much more expensive to buy the CO for a small amount in the grocery or specialty stores in and around town.
My numbers today were unusually high for what I ate and I don't know why. I did feel rather brain foggy today and a bit lethargic, but we just went through time change (I don't know if you do that in Aussie). We fell back an hour, so realistically we gained an hour, but it will be dark outside now by 5:30 p.m. So you wake when it is dark, you get home from work it is dark. Makes for a hibernation type mentality for the entire winter months until next April when we spring ahead an hour. I wish our government didn't mess with the time changes at all. Oh well. I guess perhaps I will get in bed earlier now.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Indian supermarkets sell coconut oil...well in Perth they do :)

Try Woollies for the Almond Meal and Psyllium Husks..Coconut Flour and Golden flax I found in the health food shops

Just a reminder....Macadamia Nuts and 7 net carbs per cup...Ive started using them in place of almond...ohmygosh are they good...I baked some the other day with sugarfree maple syrup (Queens brand in Coles)...awesomeeeeee
Unfortunately I just love salted macadamia nuts...mmmm just thinking bout them, dont think I could refrain from pigging out on them, I find it easier to refrain from all those old favourites that I can only eat in small quantities these days..sigh sigh but covering them in maple syrup & then baking I could have them as a special treat, But am happy about all the high fat stuff that was considered sooo evil previously like double cream, vintage cheese & bacon & eggs

I am going to town (bout 1 hrs drive) tomorrow so will check out coconut flour & see if I can track down Asian shop for CO if not may be able to order online

·
Registered
709 Posts
Catherine, I hope you will not have to increase the metformin, but if you do it really isn't a big deal. I'm glad you found the items in stores around you. They are pricey, even here in the states. I bought my almond flour, coconut flour, and erythritol online because I could get it cheaper that way. I also bought my coconut oil online because they were having a special. It is much more expensive to buy the CO for a small amount in the grocery or specialty stores in and around town.
My numbers today were unusually high for what I ate and I don't know why. I did feel rather brain foggy today and a bit lethargic, but we just went through time change (I don't know if you do that in Aussie). We fell back an hour, so realistically we gained an hour, but it will be dark outside now by 5:30 p.m. So you wake when it is dark, you get home from work it is dark. Makes for a hibernation type mentality for the entire winter months until next April when we spring ahead an hour. I wish our government didn't mess with the time changes at all. Oh well. I guess perhaps I will get in bed earlier now.
Renee: I live in the state of Queensland which luckily is the only state in Australia that doesnt have time changes as I have lived in other states previously & found it hard to get used to the time changes it really throws out your body clock so I'm not surprised if your BG were a little higher, I hate that 1st thing in the morning it can affect my mood for the day as I try to figure out where I went wrong, what morsel has affected my numbers...lol

I have accepted that sometime in the future I may have to increase Met or use insulin but they are just tools to improve my quality of life, much scarier would be having higher # & not addressing it by increase of medication & the complications it can cause, I consider myself to be very lucky to have a lovely doc who picked it up fairly quickly before it did any damage, although I dont know how "lovely" he is going to be at my next A1C in Dec when I tell him I am on LCHF & off the Crestor (if coming off Crestor for a week makes a sig change to my # then I'm not going back on)

Hope your body adapts to the time change in next day or two, keep hanging in there :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts