The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a store bought instant hot cereal that I am quite enjoying and figured I may not be the only person out there who isn't up to making something like this herself! :biggrin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ9GUPG

I usually eat the recommended serving of 1/3 cup but when I'm really hungry, I'll double it. It comes in at 1.5g net carbs and seems to do okay by me.

I add less water than they recommend to get the texture closer to how I used to like my oats. Then make up for it with extra butter and a dollop of DaVinci caramel flavoring.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Not up to making it myself? I've not had hot cereal since dx 5 yrs ago ...

Bam - ordered!

Reactions: Daytona

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@moon Let me know how you like it! I gave some to my husband and he thinks I'm a bit crazy for thinking its edible. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Hah, I was about to ask, is it edible
Good question - I wonder that myself :)

It's right now in the pantry, and I'm with houseguest and have been dishing up omelets for breakfast. Later this week I'll try it and report back.

Reactions: Rolaids and Daytona

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it so much that I just bought another two bags. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Finally broke open the package this morning: it works! I confess to missing the brown sugar I used to put on hot cereal/oatmeal - brown sugar and milk - but used butter for my dairy and blueberries for some sweet.

This is great! What a relief to have something in the pantry that can give me a filling breakfast in just a few minutes.

Thanks Daytona!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Oh, thanks VeeJay! Will add that to my next order. Yeah!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I like it so much that I just bought another two bags. :D
I was a perfect copycat and did the same.

Am using water/cream 50/50 vs water - and that has helped a lot. Makes it creamier (well duh) and with a handful of blueberries it's now sweet enough for me.

Am really loving this quick, easy breakfast - or lunch ...

Reactions: Daytona

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oooh, I just tried it with almond milk instead of water, and you're right, it does get a lot creamier!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which brand of almond milk do you use? I have failed to find anything with low carb.
In the midwest I have good luck finding unsweetened almond milk from Silk and Diamond, next to the milk. It has 1g of carb per 1 cup.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I ordered two boxes of this and it is already on the way. I am inclined to use heavy whipping cream to make it using a double boiler....but I will wait until I can read the instructions.....

I am so happy, winter is coming and I will have my porridge!

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Instructions:

1/3 cup of soon-to-be-hot cereal
1/2 cup boiling/uber-hot water

Pour water into bowl of stuff. Wait a couple minutes.

Voila!

Chef refinements: adjust liquid to one's preference. Experiment with varying degrees of cream/almond milk/water. Maybe add a few berries if on hand.

Eat!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ok folks, although it took a while to get here I ordered two packages of this(ordered on 8/31/16 arrived 9/6/16) and my wife and I had it this morning. We made it by heating up some HWC cut with half water, then mixed it with the cereal with 3 cut up strawberries, and a touch of artificial sweetener....WOW as you all said this stuff is great! So I have another low carb breakfast option....it was creamy, had a slight nutty taste, but no off flavors like bitterness or sour...just tasted real good!

Thanks to all who brought this post forward! If you have not tried this you must, I found it on Amazon.com...you need look no further for good hot breakfast cereal....and it is 'instant' a couple of minutes to warm liquid in microwave, the mix, add fruit and/or berries....and eat!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts