The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Stress and blood sugar

15522 Views 82 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  foxl
Good morning,

I'm just wondering what effect stress has on blood sugar levels? I am under a huge amount of stress at home right now due to medical issues with my dad and a few other things, and I am wondering if stress can cause blood sugar levels to rise?

I tend to be a "people pleaser" and this adds to my level of stress tremedously. This has been the case for about 3 years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Also, I am a "stress eater" and when I get super stressed about something I tend to head to the fridge or pantry. I have now stopped doing that and am trying really hard to eat properly.
Reactions: 1
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
G
USA has a different max dosage than where I live. Here the max dosage of metformin is 3000mg.
In regard to insulin, perhaps speak with your endo about what would work better for you. My endo has put me on certain dosages at different times of day. My endo has discussed portion sizes with me. Some count carbs, and some do the same that I do. It just depends on what works for you really. It's not always straight forward though, I agree with you there. Diabetes in itself is not always predictable.
Rosa, I'm not sure when you were diagnosed, but it sounds as if you are still in a 'mourning period' for the foods you love. I went through the same thing - still do, every day. But even a half a fistful of noodles will most likely spike you WAY over 150, and that's doing irreversible damage, especially since you are not able to work it off. You really are going to need to have a funeral of sorts for your beloved foods and accept that you need to stay away from all sugar, grains (pasta, rice, breads) and anything with flour in it and find substitutes - believe me, there ARE substitutes for each of those things. And if you're doctor is telling you to stay away from even brown rice, you need to listen to him and to us as well, since the majority of us are living these diets every day and surviving just fine on them. I know it's hard, but given your age and other ailments - and your depression - it's high time to let the noodles and the rice and the soup go away forever. I think once you begin to eat healthier and get rid of the carbs, your depression will start to lift and you will feel much healthier. I was at a 262 two months ago and now stay below a 110 for the most part. If I can do it, so can you! But you need to start now :)
This is so nice of you, but I fear it's too late...I've abused myself for far too long. That's why I think about giving up. I feel I there is no hope for me, and that only exacerbates my normal depressed state. There are so many things wrong with me. Many people are worse off, I realize that, but I feel so down - my age alone could get me at any time. God, I need help! Crying (again).
No. 3,000 is over the maximum. There is an 850 mg and one can take that 3x/day for maximum 2550.
Thanks - I'll ask my doctor about that. The reason I asked is because a guy told me HE takes an extra 1000 mg sometimes and I didn't know if that was safe or not. I'm depressed, yet, but I hope to live.
USA has a different max dosage than where I live. Here the max dosage of metformin is 3000mg.
In regard to insulin, perhaps speak with your endo about what would work better for you. My endo has put me on certain dosages at different times of day. My endo has discussed portion sizes with me. Some count carbs, and some do the same that I do. It just depends on what works for you really. It's not always straight forward though, I agree with you there. Diabetes in itself is not always predictable.
I can't get over how helpful everyone is here.
This is so nice of you, but I fear it's too late...I've abused myself for far too long. That's why I think about giving up. I feel I there is no hope for me, and that only exacerbates my normal depressed state. There are so many things wrong with me. Many people are worse off, I realize that, but I feel so down - my age alone could get me at any time. God, I need help! Crying (again).
Rosa, you need to calm down and realize that you are putting yourself in a spinning circle by NOT taking care of yourself. Your depression will continue if you keep eating foods that could harm you - not only will you not feel good physically, you'll be even more depressed knowing that you are not doing the right thing. You are NOT too old to give up! I am also a depressed person - I'm bi-polar and I had a major nervous breakdown in January because I've been unemployed and completely broke for the past three years. I'm facing the very real possibility of homelessness soon. Thank goodness I'm an outpatient at a mental health facility or I would have committed suicide on February 1st, like I had planned, and taken my cats with me. I have to tell you that getting diagnosed with the Big D literally saved my life. I was easily doing a couple thousand carbs a day because - guess what - I was depressed! Getting diagnosed was the kick in the a$$ I needed to get my life together. I needed to be told I could DIE if I continued on my path. While things still aren't great, they are way better than they were a couple months ago and if I keep doing the right things, they'll get better still. I feel good about myself for taking responsibility for my health and I've lost a few pounds for the first time in my life now, so I have more energy. One thing about diabetes is it forces you to be responsible and disciplined. It's one thing to mess up once in a great while, but to ignore your health altogether and think that meds are going to cure it, that kind of thinking will kill you faster than the Big D. You are in the golden years of your life, you should be enjoying them instead of feeling sad. You said yourself you have a wonderful son, a loving husband - I have none of those things, but I force myself to take care of my health every day so that someday I'll be able to have those things.

I'd like you to watch this video and then tell us if you feel ignoring your condition is the best choice for you. Keep coming back here, we're all here for you! :)

See less See more
I can't get over how helpful everyone is here.
And just think, every single one of us was once in your position and said the same exact thing! :)
The problem is, Rosa, that if you don't grab hold of your condition now, soon you will BE one of the people who is "worse off". Tasty food isn't worth losing a foot over or going blind.
Rosa, you need to calm down and realize that you are putting yourself in a spinning circle by NOT taking care of yourself. Your depression will continue if you keep eating foods that could harm you - not only will you not feel good physically, you'll be even more depressed knowing that you are not doing the right thing. You are NOT too old to give up! I am also a depressed person - I'm bi-polar and I had a major nervous breakdown in January because I've been unemployed and completely broke for the past three years. I'm facing the very real possibility of homelessness soon. Thank goodness I'm an outpatient at a mental health facility or I would have committed suicide on February 1st, like I had planned, and taken my cats with me. I have to tell you that getting diagnosed with the Big D literally saved my life. I was easily doing a couple thousand carbs a day because - guess what - I was depressed! Getting diagnosed was the kick in the a$$ I needed to get my life together. I needed to be told I could DIE if I continued on my path. While things still aren't great, they are way better than they were a couple months ago and if I keep doing the right things, they'll get better still. I feel good about myself for taking responsibility for my health and I've lost a few pounds for the first time in my life now, so I have more energy. One thing about diabetes is it forces you to be responsible and disciplined. It's one thing to mess up once in a great while, but to ignore your health altogether and think that meds are going to cure it, that kind of thinking will kill you faster than the Big D. You are in the golden years of your life, you should be enjoying them instead of feeling sad. You said yourself you have a wonderful son, a loving husband - I have none of those things, but I force myself to take care of my health every day so that someday I'll be able to have those things.

I'd like you to watch this video and then tell us if you feel ignoring your condition is the best choice for you. Keep coming back here, we're all here for you! :)

YouTube - ‪Fatman Ignores his Diabetes for the Love of Food‬‏
Love and blessings to you and all here! Thanks for that video clip - I gotta say that guy has a bigger chest than I have, LOL. I DO want to get this disease under control. Jeremy told me that even a small amt of noodles would cause my sugar to spike - he knew what he was talking about - we had chili made w/ground turkey & I had a little portion of noodles - not a good choice - about an hour later my sugar was 429! I took my Novolog and called my doctor's office. His nurse (actually is his wife) told me to calm down as STRESS will keep my sugar level up there. I told her I'm dying and she said NO - that I can do this. Gave me a little hope, and so have you. Tonight's snack will be sugar-free jello (I love it).

I've had more than one nervous breakdown so I can truly identify with you - and it was a horrid experience. I wasn't suicidal, though for the first time I actually thought about it (I'm referring to my worst episode that was in 1987). And yes, the depression causes me to crave - usually chocolate. You've described my situation exactly by the way. I'm VERY sorry that you're nearly homeless and that you have no money. My husband and I do okay but didn't realize how tight things would be when he retired, which was about 4 years ago or so. I went out on disability with the "big one of '87" - meaning my most severe nervous breakdown. I was not diabetic at that time. I'm about 50 lbs. overweight; was very thin all my life til I left work.

I know of a woman who actually lives in one of our local mental health facilities; are you or can you do that? I couldn't stand the thought of you being out on the street. I really don't think they would do that to you anyway if you had nowhere to go. You're also right that I need a wake-up call; I did have one with the first stroke - I quit smoking cold turkey and have felt wonderful about that ever since, and I'd been a chain smoker who thought I just could never quit. Now I've got to apply that attitude towards my eating habits. If I could do it with smoking, I should be able to do it with food. Your success story, and others here, are inspiring and very supportive. I have to make sure I at least read these posts every day, even if I don't say anything.

Do you have any family at all? I don't, on my side, except for my deceased sister's 4 kids, with whom I have no contact. But as I said earlier, my husband and son are my life, and I'm close to my husband's side of the family. His sister, now deceased, had 9 children, all grown now and everyone is very close. I love them all and had been very close to my sister-in-law. My own side of the family, well...let's just say I prefer to stay away from them (drugs, alcohol, jailtime, things like that). My mother passed away in Jan. of 2001 and although I basically loved her, I did not like her. She'd given me to my grandparents til I was 4 (actually Grandpa was my step-Grandpa but a wonderful man) and then when I got out of high school after my mother had remarried my stepdad, a very good man, had taken me back I returned to living with my grandparents by choice, who always kept a stable and responsible homelife, unlike my mother's, who was always chaotic, sorry to say. I owe my grandparents EVERYTHING and helped to take care of them both up until they passed. My precious grandmother was the mother of my heart (and yes, diabetic!). I hope you have some close family; you're too warm a person to not be close to someone, even some good and loyal friends.

If diabetes could shock you into taking care of your diet, then it can work for me also, I know it can. I'm responsible about everything except food! Everything else in my life is under control.

Do you have a doctor you can really talk to? I do, and it took me a long time to find him. The main characteristic I look for in a physician is good conversational rapport, and my doctor is great that way.

Thank you for your support and if there's any way I can help you, please let me know. God bless. I'm not religious in the conventional sense, but somewhat spiritual and I do pray. I'll include you in my nightly prayers. Good luck.

Rosa
See less See more
The problem is, Rosa, that if you don't grab hold of your condition now, soon you will BE one of the people who is "worse off". Tasty food isn't worth losing a foot over or going blind.
How true!!
Rosa if you look online for ANY medication + package insert you can read a LOT about the medication -- including max doses, side effects in more detail than you would like, etc. I learned a LOT that way. Including insulin!
Rosa if you look online for ANY medication + package insert you can read a LOT about the medication -- including max doses, side effects in more detail than you would like, etc. I learned a LOT that way. Including insulin!
Thank you. Just today I got my Novolog in pen form; I'd had the needles and my husband did them for me as I didn't really know how. These pens will be a lot easier.
Novolog rocks, too! Just switching from regular now.

I like being able to bolus after I know what's on my plate, 'cause my clairvoyant skills are not up to par.
Reactions: 2
Novo works great, and the pens are quick and easy so you'll get used to them in no time. and you'll barely feel a thing. id suggest them to anyone
Jowi? I think you need to go to the Introduce yourself board and tell us more about yourself and how you manage your diabetes. You're giving us a lot of rules about how to eat, but you haven't said whether it works for you, and that's really all we need to know. Otherwise, you're preaching to the choir here. We already know all this, and some of it doesn't work for some of us.

Let's here more about YOU, and less about all these diet rules.
Reactions: 1
Novolog rocks, too! Just switching from regular now.

I like being able to bolus after I know what's on my plate, 'cause my clairvoyant skills are not up to par.
Same with me, Shalynne.
Here's a little something to add about the effects of stress on us in relation to diabetes. I found this in an article online and put it in a file to look back at:

Diabetes and Oxidative Stress
Most researchers are in basic agreement that the theory of oxidative stress is central to explaining the cause of diabetes. To understand the theory, one must first conceptualize that a "free radical" is any atom or molecule which has an "unpaired electron" in it's outer ring. Because it is lacking an electron, it is unstable and very much wants to find one electron to fill its need. This "free radical" will steal an electron from any other molecule it encounters that is more willing to give one up . . . and thus it becomes satisfied . . . but now the victim molecule has become a free radical itself and so it now will look for another victim molecule to steal it's much desired electron from . . . thus propagating this cycle over and over again. This cycle is called "the chain reaction of free radicals".
The chief danger of free radicals comes from the damage they can do when they react with important cellular components such as DNA, or the cell membrane. Cells may function poorly or die if this occurs.
To prevent free radical damage the body has a defense system of antioxidants. Antioxidants are molecules which can safely interact with free radicals and terminate the chain reaction before vital molecules are damaged. Although there are several enzyme systems within the body that scavenge free radicals, the principle antioxidants are: glutathione, SOD (superoxide dismutase), beta carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C, CoQ10, melatonin, and alpha lipoic acid.
According to the theory of oxidative stress, free radicals run rampant through the body reeking havoc. In the case of type 1 diabetes . . . damaging beta cells in the pancreas, negatively impacting their ability to produce insulin . . . in the case if type 2 diabetes . . . damaging cell membranes, leading to a breakdown in intercellular signaling.
And if that were not bad enough . . . free radicals deplete our body's reserve of antioxidants . . . further contributing to the problem.
This is why it is so important to lower the oxidative stress with better diet, more exercise, improved lifestyle; and to take all the antioxidant supplements known to neutralize the excess free radicals.
There is still a lot to learn about the causes of diabetes, but what is known, is that our bodies may begin to malfunction five to seven years before we are ever diagnosed with diabetes. That is why researchers believe that nearly 30-50% of the people who have diabetes don't even know it.
See less See more
Sam? If you still have the link (URL) for this article, would you please add it to your post? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have it...when collecting info online, I'll start keeping the link with the info so I can pass that on. It would be helpful...
Sorry, I don't have it...when collecting info online, I'll start keeping the link with the info so I can pass that on. It would be helpful...
That would be great . . . sometimes just where it's published can be indicative of its veracity, and including the link often tells people who authored the article too, which we need to include with their composition.
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.