The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with diabetes 18 months ago. The I've been tremendously stressed for the last 3 years. How bad does that affect my diabetes?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Stress is not good for anything, including diabetes. When we have a great deal of stress, all we can do is work on reducing it as much as possible (easy to say, I know - stress is epidemic) and in the case of diabetes, work on addressing all other factors that affect it: diet, exercise, weight...

If you share what you're doing for your diabetes otherwise, and what sort of numbers you have, then maybe we can help you with a strategy/plan if you don't already have one in place.

Welcome to the forum. And may your stress levels ease. Soon!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...I've been tremendously stressed for the last 3 years. How bad does that affect my diabetes?
When I'm under stress - whether emotional or physical (cold, flu, etc.) my sugars elevate around 15-20% above my 'normal'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take glybuteride and glumetza. I only get to exercise 2-3 hours each week. My sugar levels rarely go above 130, however I had about 2 weeks that it was up consistently to 155 and even 180. My eating habits were no different either.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I take glybuteride and glumetza. I only get to exercise 2-3 hours each week. My sugar levels rarely go above 130, however I had about 2 weeks that it was up consistently to 155 and even 180. My eating habits were no different either.
I'm only on metformin ER, 2000mg per day. I exercise anywhere from 2 to 6 hours in a day (because I'm crazy-obsessed).

My sugars are normally (using your scale) anywhere from 100-125 after dinners, but I can also be as high as 140's or 150's when I'm sick or stressed... Scary high for me...

·
Banned
158 Posts
My sugars are normally (using your scale) anywhere from 100-125 after dinners, but I can also be as high as 140's or 150's when I'm sick or stressed... Scary high for me...
Re: Scary high 140s - 150s......

My Blood sugars prior to late August would have sent you into panic mode. :)

I found this email message I sent to my GP dated 4-13-2011: "My Blood Sugars have been extremely out of control - running anywhere between 350 to 550+ despite my best dieting efforts. I have muscle cramps & spasms in the area of my pancreas, nausea, weakness & fatigue in my arm & leg muscles, right kidney pain, my mind is foggy, my vision is blurry, and my body feels like it's constantly asleep."

I was too dumb to be scared back then.

Re: Stress... My Doc's response to that email was this: "You must be under a lot of extra stress." I recall thinking - Well, not anything more than usual. I don't feel stressed out except that I don't feel very good.

So, apparently stress does raise BGs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
beefy said:
I'm only on metformin ER, 2000mg per day. I exercise anywhere from 2 to 6 hours in a day (because I'm crazy-obsessed).

I would love to be able to exercise 2-6 hours a day. (But life happens). I gained 65 pounds in 10 years after I left the Marine Corps, got married and had kids.

When my sugar levels drop below 110, I really feel bad (dizzy and lite headed). I have not spoke to dr about that yet. My understanding is that the norm is 70-110. I find that odd.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I would love to be able to exercise 2-6 hours a day. (But life happens). I gained 65 pounds in 10 years after I left the Marine Corps, got married and had kids.
I'm currently on disability due to a spine condition (as well as other health-related concerns that were just too much all at once), but it's getting better. I can walk, stand and sit much longer than I used to be able to (used to be I couldn't do ANY walking, standing or sitting without extreme pain) and hopefully I can look at getting back to work again before too long... So I've got the time, at least for now... at least when I'm not flat on my back, which still happens sometimes.

When my sugar levels drop below 110, I really feel bad (dizzy and lite headed). I have not spoke to dr about that yet. My understanding is that the norm is 70-110. I find that odd.
Are you normally at or above 110, even fasting or pre-meal? If so, that might be why 'normal' feels 'low' to you.

Low blood sugar symptoms happen whenever you're UNDER your norms ... If your normals are 110+, you might well feel low where other people normally operate. As you regulate your BG's and get the average number lower it will change and you'll feel fine under 110 - or at least that's what MOST people find.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
beefy said:
I'm currently on disability due to a spine condition (as well as other health-related concerns that were just too much all at once), but it's getting better. I can walk, stand and sit much longer than I used to be able to (used to be I couldn't do ANY walking, standing or sitting without extreme pain) and hopefully I can look at getting back to work again before too long... So I've got the time, at least for now... at least when I'm not flat on my back, which still happens sometimes.

Are you normally at or above 110, even fasting or pre-meal? If so, that might be why 'normal' feels 'low' to you.

Low blood sugar symptoms happen whenever you're UNDER your norms ... If your normals are 110+, you might well feel low where other people normally operate. As you regulate your BG's and get the average number lower it will change and you'll feel fine under 110 - or at least that's what MOST people find.

I hope that makes sense.
My fasting BG has always been 125-130 every time I go to the dr. Even though I was diagnosed 18 months ago, I had a dr that didn't explain anything to me nor did he help me get a meter. I didn't get serious about my condition until about 4 months ago. It has been an eye opener. I just wish that my wife would realize that my diet isn't the only thing that needs to change to get this under control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
daddymike said:
My fasting BG has always been 125-130 every time I go to the dr. Even though I was diagnosed 18 months ago, I had a dr that didn't explain anything to me nor did he help me get a meter. I didn't get serious about my condition until about 4 months ago. It has been an eye opener. I just wish that my wife would realize that my diet isn't the only thing that needs to change to get this under control.
Thank you beefy. Your success is truly inspiring. I know that I will get this under control. I also realize that there are other things in my life that I have to fix also.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I felt that stress precipitated my D, with some help from a poor diet (mostly starches) and a weakened immune system. I had somem incredible life stressors, after adopting 3 kids internationally, my mother died about the same time my husband developed a life-threatening MRSA infection. I kept gaining weight after that, had short-term memory problems that terrified me (my mom and dad both had died from Alz), and I developed LADA, a form of D that is initially non-insulin dependent, but which progresses fairly quickly to insulin dependence, and has antibodies.

Since diagnosis, I have switched to a low carb diet, counting carbs at all times, gotten vitamin D levels tested and am on replacement of 4000IU of D3 per day (not a typo, that is 10x the RDA!), and insisted on testing for antibodies, now using insulin 2- 3 times per day. I have made various efforts to work out, currently restricted to plenty of brisk walking.

I never get my kids' viral infections, anymore, and feel much, much better for having gotten things under control.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I felt that stress precipitated my D, with some help from a poor diet (mostly starches) and a weakened immune system. I had somem incredible life stressors, after adopting 3 kids internationally, my mother died about the same time my husband developed a life-threatening MRSA infection. I kept gaining weight after that, had short-term memory problems that terrified me (my mom and dad both had died from Alz), and I developed LADA, a form of D that is initially non-insulin dependent, but which progresses fairly quickly to insulin dependence, and has antibodies.

Since diagnosis, I have switched to a low carb diet, counting carbs at all times, gotten vitamin D levels tested and am on replacement of 4000IU of D3 per day (not a typo, that is 10x the RDA!), and insisted on testing for antibodies, now using insulin 2- 3 times per day. I have made various efforts to work out, currently restricted to plenty of brisk walking.

I never get my kids' viral infections, anymore, and feel much, much better for having gotten things under control.
So sorry for all you've had to handle. Your children are fortunate.
I, too, am a big fan of Vitamin D3. :)

I take 10,000 IU(also not a typo) per day and every 3rd day I increase this to 15,000 IU, and this just keeps me at the low end of "normal." I was so deficient when my GP first tested me that he had me to repeat the test. He said he had never seen a Vit D level as low as mine. I've been supplementing for the past 2 years and it has made a huge improvement in my health.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it wasn't for stress I would have not been diagnosed. Looking back I have probably been diabetic years before I was diagnosed. The stress of being a college student, appointed temporary guardian of a toddler, and facing eviction lead to a dramatic increase in my bs and overwhelming symptons. When I was finally hospitalized my bs were over 500. So I am proof that stress can dramatically effect bs levels, but that also lead me to yoga and a healthier lifestyle.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
yea, stress is a really bad thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts