The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I need some advice. While cleaning out my closet, I found 4 boxes of strips by Menarini, for the Glucocard X-sensor. Their expire date is 2009-04, which is closeby. What do you think? Is it justified to continue using these strips, even after they have expired? Or should I trash them anyway?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello there, how is my friend from Belgium? I don't understand your expiration date "200-04". Did you mean 2009-04? I have never used strips that were close to expiration but if I did I think I would buy one new of strips and compare the test results of the new and old strips. If the results were not significantly different then I would use the old strips and make additional comparisons once each day. I hope you are doing well.

Richard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard, that's a good tip!
And I did forget the '9' in 2009, my mistake. I'm too fast a typist for my own good lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would say they are fine and I would use them first until they are gone. Even if you go beyond April 2009 for a while, I'm sure you'll be okay.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say they are fine and I would use them first until they are gone. Even if you go beyond April 2009 for a while, I'm sure you'll be okay.
I think that's a good idea. I have put my new meter and strips aside and I will use these first and see what happens. Thx

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have used strips that were about 3 months expired and had no problem. But I do not dose insulin from my glucose levels. I never got a reading I thought was out of line for what I ate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

Thetesting strips are to be stored in proper temperatures and environment,
othewise their use is not recommended.The use of near expiry strips found in your closet accidently,is to be avoided,I think,as these were not properly stored.

Bye

Bye

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Thetesting strips are to be stored in proper temperatures and environment,
othewise their use is not recommended.The use of near expiry strips found in your closet accidently,is to be avoided,I think,as these were not properly stored.

Bye

Bye
Hi,

the strips were still in their original box and well packed. I keep them in the same place all the time, but they were in the back of the closet and out of my sight.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Why guess?

Do what you are supposed to do with anmy new box of strips - run a control solution test. If it comes out OK, use the striops. If you are doubtful, run back to back test with a "good" strip and one from the batch about to expire.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why guess?

Do what you are supposed to do with anmy new box of strips - run a control solution test. If it comes out OK, use the striops. If you are doubtful, run back to back test with a "good" strip and one from the batch about to expire.
a control solution test appears to be as expensive as a new box of strips :eek:

·
Banned
36 Posts
a control solution test appears to be as expensive as a new box of strips :eek:

It's true that control solution is expensive, but it can be stored tightly sealed under refrigeration and one vial is sufficient to do MANY tests.

As I said, you could run back to back test using known good strips. That would tell if the suspect strips were still good. Cost = extra strip. What it won't tell you is if you meter is still working within calibration. ALL your readings might be skewed high or low, you don't know.

Every box of strips that is sold contains direction to use control solution to test them and the meter- they work as a system. If you aren't you aren't using the system properly. Every meter comes with control solution. (If you call the meter manufacturer, perhaps you can get a new meter :) )

·
Banned
36 Posts
In my travels I meet alot of people who use expired test strips. Some people do not even know that the test strips have an expiration date on the box.
Most people never read the inserts packed with the products, and don't understand basic chemistry. Further, the "expiration" date is designed to protect the manufacturer against liability for the product not performing as described, not to protect the consumer.

Except for the strips that use a code key that tells the meter that the manufacturer has expired the strips, the only limiting factor on the use of strips is the quality of the environment in which they are stored.

When you receive strips or insulin, you'll note that the "expiration" dates are typically a year or more away. Two years is not unusual. This is based on some assumptions.

The first is that during distribution the items will be stored and shipped using commercial refrigeration facilities. The second is that most people simply store the unopened vials in a home refrigerator. The interior of a home refrigerator undergoes extreme changes in temperature and humidity each time the door is opened. Lastly, once opened, the average temperature and humidity to which the opened container will be exposed will approach the upper maximum extremes listed on the packaging.

Finally, the manufacturer de-rates the product lifetime to provide a safety factor for himself. It coincidentally provides additional sales as good products are discarded by worried consumers.

Like insulin, if strips are stored under tightly controlled temperature and humidity conditions their usable lifetimes far exceed the dates shown on the cartons. Few people take the simple steps needed to achieve this level of control.

The chemical reaction upon which strips operate will not commence without the presence of moisture, and the rate of chemical deterioration within the strip slows as the temperature declines above freezing. The most practical solution is to store unopened strips in heavy duty freezer bags along with some desiccant canisters in a good quality Rubbermaid or Tupperware type storage container, inside a refrigerator. Combined with the desiccant linings of the original strip containers, this maintains the humidity level and protects against extreme temperature changes and condensation. By using smaller bags within a 1 gallon bag, strips can be separated into batches that can be consumed within a reasonable period of time.

If these control steps are taken with an unopened package as soon as it is received by the consumer, the useful product life can be extended by a minimum of the time until the indicated expiration date. That is, if the date is a month away, an extra month. If a year away, an extra year.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Expiration is less of a concern when strips are packaged individually in foil wraps. Most are not, but my cheapie ReliOn meter uses strips which are half the price of most others, and each strip is sealed in foil. I never have to worry if they've been contaminated or compromised.

And btw, Steve . . . are you going to introduce yourself further and become a functioning part of the forum, or are you just here to sell strips?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have never used strips that were close to expiration but if I did I think I would buy one new of strips and compare the test results of the new and old strips. If the results were not significantly different then I would use the old strips and make additional comparisons once each day.
I have never thought to look at the expiration date before. I will from now on and follow your advice, Richard.

Ruth

G

·
Shanny.. I thought the same thing!

Shanny said in part..

And btw, Steve . . . are you going to introduce yourself further and become a functioning part of the forum, or are you just here to sell strips?
I thought the same thing. As a fairly new person here I don't want to cause problems, but I thought his "Login Name" and "web page URL" was pushing the rules and regulations envelope myself.. but what do I know.

Breeze..2..User

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have learned a lot of information about test strips that I did not know about. Steve is an asset to the forum. I hope nobody jumps on me like that.

I do not think anyone should be discouraged from educating us. I want to be educated.

Shanny once told me that we have different opinions and sometimes disagree with each other. If I disagree with someone, do you want me out!!

I do not see him pushing his website on the forum, at all. It is in his profile. We can put website information in our profile.

Ruth

G

·
There's a B I G Difference..!

Fiesta said in part..

I have learned a lot of information about test strips that I did not know about. Steve is an asset to the forum. I hope nobody jumps on me like that.

I do not think anyone should be discouraged from educating us. I want to be educated.

Shanny once told me that we have different opinions and sometimes disagree with each other. If I disagree with someone, do you want me out!!

I do not see him pushing his website on the forum, at all. It is in his profile. We can put website information in our profile.

Ruth
There's a B I G difference between educating someone, having differences of opinions, disagreeing with one another and..

Pushing a web site through blatant use of a user login name, ie: "Sell Test Strips" and a web site URL, ie: "Sell My Diabetic Test Strips . com" in the signature line as a commercial/business web site.

Under the terms of web site use, ie:

"3.8 ...you agree to use the Website for personal and non-commercial purposes only.

Look, I'm NOT trying to jump the guy, but if I had some business web sites I would love to post the URL's here.. but it's against the rules and regulations as stated.

Now if I wanted to do so, then I would need to contact the web master at this web site, go through the proper channels and pay however much it is to advertise here. Then and only then would I be authorized/legal to do so.

Don't blame me for what I've said. We all have got to play by the same rules and regulations. I personally don't have anything against Steve, or what he has to say.. but if he's going to do it, then why can't everyone start doing it too. You can't have it both ways.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Breeze 2 is referring to this clause in our terms of service:
1.4 Only one username is permitted to you upon registration. You may not include in your username any wording or letters which are the same as or similar to any domain name, company name, trade mark or service description, nor may you use your email address as your username.
Paraphrased thusly as Rule #11:
11. Using a username, user title or avatar that is an obvious domain name, company name, product name or service description will be removed. This is out of unfair promotion considerations as well as trademark implications. Email addresses are also NOT to be used as a username.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Please do not get mad at me. You do not need to quote the rules to me. I know the rules and I do not break them. Why don't you ask Steve by PM or ask Bob? Why don't you tell Steve by PM what the rules are for usernames?

I just do not feel it is fair to blast someone in the public forum. I do not feel that this is the place to discuss it.

Breeze, how do you know he hasn't gone through the proper channels? I do not know one way or another.

I know one thing, if he is legit or just has to change his username, why haven't you told him by PM? Has anyone told him by PM?

I looked up Steve's website. I hope you have too. He is buying test strips, not selling them.

Ruth

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hi Steve,
Just to clarify the situation - it is against the rules to use the forum for any self promotional means when posting. This extends to a members user name - it has to be non promotional, not based on a website name, a product or a service. I will require you to PM me with an alternative user name please. You are also more than welcome to use the site if you abide by the rules as we all do and contribute to the forum.

Thanks
Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts