The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everybody my Name is Pat and I've been a diabetic for sometime
But I'm still battling with accepting it. I guess I don't want to give food.
I know it sounds crazy but I love thoughts carps.
Pat

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine Pat

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Pat from another Pat. Why not tell us more about yourself and how you are battling your disease? One thing I've learned is that carbs call out for more carbs, but after the first few days of eating very few, I no longer really crave my real cokes as I did earlier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One thing I've learned is that carbs call out for more carbs, but after the first few days of eating very few, I no longer really crave my real cokes as I did earlier.
So true. I miss bread and other carby things not because I want to eat bread and other carby things...I miss carby things because making dinner was much easier and less complicated when I didn't have to exclude them. SO easy to come up with a multitude of dinner options when you can build around rice or noodles or potatoes...or lunch options when they can involve a sandwich. So I don't really crave carbs anymore, I just miss the days when meal prep was easy. :D

Welcome to the show, Pat!

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Pat. I hope you'll be able to reduce your carbs & discover the freedom so many of us have found - that after the first few days, the cravings disappear. We've also resorted to trickery at times - like when Optimist shares her recipe for http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/6581-crackers.html, and Marty starts inventing new wonderful http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/6865-ginger-snaps-2.html#post58008 and Chocolate Chip cookies. :cool:

We're gonna win this war whatever it takes! :D C'mon in & join the fray!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
HI everybody my Name is Pat and I've been a diabetic for sometime
But I'm still battling with accepting it. I guess I don't want to give food.
I know it sounds crazy but I love thoughts carps.
Pat

Hi Pat,
To be honest I am also still battling to accept that I've got D.
But I dont have a choice, do I ?
We have to make changes, Thats the only way we can manage this.

Welcome to the group Pat !

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
It took me about 4 months to even accept that I had diabetes and that it wasn't just some temporary problem brought on by medications or something else. It can be a devastating diagnosis and it's okay to struggle with it.

That being said, you have been given an opportunity to significantly improve how you feel on a day-to-day basis. When you go from poor blood sugar control to good control, the difference in how most people feel is like night and day. The changes to your diet are more than compensated by feeling much better. It's hard to see that now but once you get a taste of having energy, sleeping better, peeing less(!) and reducing any of your other symptoms, it will help you find the motivation to keep up with the diet changes.

Why don't you post more about yourself, your history with diabetes, your diet and what changes you are considering making. There are some smart cookies on this forum who can help you make the diet easier and you don't have to feel deprived. Some, myself included, love the new diet even more than the old (mmmm steak!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
new to site

I'm Amy and new to this site. I have type2 diabetes, was diagnosed in 2000. Struggling with weight gain and numbers that are not quite where they need to be.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Amy, go to Introduce yourself and tell us more about yourself and what you are doing about your diabetes and we will love to know more about you!

Welcome, by the way. We are glad you are here!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Amy, after you click this link, scroll down a tiny bit, and on the left you will see a big oval button that says 'new thread'. Click that, then you will be able to introduce yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Pat! You can do this! Cutting out things you love is not completely necessary. Watch your levels and start small. Keep a log and note any fluctuations in your levels. Note any differences you did that day. Discuss this with your doctor and allow him to suggest a few points that you never thought of. For instance he may suggest your fast acting carbohydrates at a different time of day. Walking after a carb rich meal also helps. Keep at it! You will figure out what works best for your body. We are unique in our differences. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts