The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my way home from Peru. My first flight from Iquitos to Lima was delayed and I get the pleasure of spending 24 hours waiting for the next flight home to alaska. The purpose of my trip was to go and teach at a pastors conference and it was a great time of teaching and fun with great Peruvian people.
Now my BG is a whole other issue. Due to the long travel I got all messed up only medication. After missing 2 days of my metformin I decided that restarting it while I was here might not be a very good thing. When I start on Metformine I need to stay close to a bathroom.20-30 min is about as far away from a bathroom that I dare get. Being is the jungle region of Peru, could make this a problem. I figured that a 2 week vacation away from my Managment plan would not hurt me, and I had been keeping my BG under control anyways.
Well I think this was not the best choice. My BG numbers have not been under 160 often spiking way higher. The biggest conch that I have had is vision problems. During the last 2 weeks my vision has become more and more blurry. I told my wife that after I get home and get my BG under control again if my eye sight does not improve I am going to see the doc.
I plan on making more trips to Peru so I will need to figure out a way to keep things under control.

Tracy

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I'm sure your vision will return to what it was before your bs increased, don't worry about that. As for the next time, now you know not to miss your meds.

How was it with food choices? That can be so tricky when we're away from home base, esp third world.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The food choices are hard too. Rice, plantains, and yucka with most meals. The fish and chicken were amazing though. Couldn't eat veggies because of cleanliness issues

·
Registered
741 Posts
The food choices are hard too. Rice, plantains, and yucka with most meals. The fish and chicken were amazing though. Couldn't eat veggies because of cleanliness issues
That would be difficult...makes you realise though that people with limited food and mostly carbs AND diabetic...how on earth do they survive?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts