The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone

I found this study on the news this morning and was a bit miffed to be honest... I realise I don't have all the information from the study...there are questions I would want to ask but I thought it was interesting...

Fatty food affects brain's ability to control weight | Obesity

The article is entitled Fat affects brain's ability to control weight: study

OK so basically the researchers fed the mice a high fat diet....They found in 3 days that the mice were consuming 3 times their usual calories...
What I want to know is what else they were being fed too....

Personally and I have found that high carbs diets triggered an insatiable hunger in me that I would crave high carb high fat to fix (eg potato chips). As soon as I switched to low carb high fat ALL of my cravings and excessive hunger went away...For the first time in my life I am not controlled by a craving for food...
I know I am only one person but my own experience would directly contradict some of the findings of the study.

Not only am I craving free and hunger greatly reduced...but I have dropped lots of weight and would be lucky to make half the calories I used to eat.

The article goes on to liken the effect on the brain of a high fat diet to the healing brains of stroke victims. I guess the bit that scares me is at the bottom...here's the quote..

"If new medicines can be designed that limit neuron injury during overeating, they may be effective in combating the obesity epidemic," he said.

Is medication the only answer to the obesity epidemic...??
If a low fat diet was going to work wouldn't we see the effects in society with the last 30 years of low fat products on our shelves?

OK I've finished ranting... I wondered what others thought?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting....
Seems like medication, pills, drugs, etc is the answer to EVERYTHING these days.

I am switching over to a low carb diet myself. I'm finding it to be a struggle because even though I didn't realize it, I am addicted to carbs. If I eat a crappy meal with a lot of carbs & empty calories, about an hour later I am craving more carbs. And not good carbs either. Like you, potato chips.
Since I am trying to lose a significant amount of weight an get my bg's under control, how do I get a grip on these cravings when they hit? I don't want to be like those lab rats considering we don't know what else they were being fed.
I actually get cranky & shakey from the withdrawls. If I eat a breakfast of scrambled eggs & veggies (nonstarchy) sauted in coconut oil, with smoked turkey slices and a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce, (in otherwords high protien) I get shakey and light headed. It scares me. And if I consume any kind of unhealthy fats I feel sickly, then I make a few trips to the bathroom.

Low fat diets do NOT work because when they remove the fat, they replace it with sugars, corn syrup and other chemicals that our bodies don't need. Look at the labels on low-fat & regular yogurt. (I can't eat either regular or low-fat because they make me spike).

Any suggestions or ideas? My new Endo wants me on Low Carb as well.

G

·
it's probably why I err on the side of caution and I don't like to overdo carbs or fat. Moderation I think is the key. I can't imagine too much of anything would be good for you. Our body needs various nutrients to function properly... you get that from eating variety and not limiting to a particular food group. I will share something funny now.... I was been driven to the airport and somehow got to talking about plane food and what foods are good, etc... the taxi driver didn't like the word 'carbohydrate' and claimed he has never been able to buy a food labeled 'carb' or 'carbohydrate'. I tried to explain it's just a food group but he thought I was crazy. lol. He told me that he doesn't eat sugar at all... then I asked him if he ate bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.... he answered that he ate plenty of those... well hello you do eat sugar! Oh and he didn't know his brain needs glucose to function and couldn't understand what cause diabetics problems either.... he said to me "so what if your sugar drops or goes high it doesn't do anything does it". Some people are very uneducated when it comes to their diet I think. This guy though I reckon was being a smart#@$!.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Except for butter, we've switched almost exclusively to coconut oil. I have a small bottle of EVOO in the cupboard, but I haven't reached for it in ages & I'd bet the farm DH hasn't either - he's totally sold on coconut oil, once he found out his pancakes don't smoke up the kitchen like when he uses butter in the skillet. (I HATE the smoke - and we've never had an exhaust fan in the kitchen.)

I believe in moderation too, Mep, right up until something spikes my BGL to the moon. That's where the moderation ends - the foods that do that get CANNED, and I don't mean vacuum-packed! It's a nice motto, but it's for people who aren't diabetic, or those who can use insulin to cover.

·
Registered
930 Posts
just my personal opinion:

I like this report, it shows that for a little money scientist will manipulate the test itself to come up with the answer their masters want. It shows that most so called scientist are just professional hired information manipulators similar to to advertising professionals hired to manipulate the public.

And normal the SAD with vegetable oils purified ( rancidified by distillation and then deodorized to hid the rancid smell ) are already know to be very unhealthy in any quantity.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Except for butter, we've switched almost exclusively to coconut oil. I have a small bottle of EVOO in the cupboard, but I haven't reached for it in ages & I'd bet the farm DH hasn't either - he's totally sold on coconut oil, once he found out his pancakes don't smoke up the kitchen like when he uses butter in the skillet. (I HATE the smoke - and we've never had an exhaust fan in the kitchen.)

I believe in moderation too, Mep, right up until something spikes my BGL to the moon. That's where the moderation ends - the foods that do that get CANNED, and I don't mean vacuum-packed! It's a nice motto, but it's for people who aren't diabetic, or those who can use insulin to cover.
And for some of us, there's not enough insulin in the world to cover moderate carbing!

I've also discovered (very recently) that carbs just plain make me feel un-good, even when I get the counting and timing right and avoid a spike. :frusty:

And, oh yeah, that study definitely has the aroma of money about it. Big picture of fish and chips, extreme high-carb.

I once thought my stomach problems were due to the oils and proteins. Turned out it was the carbs mixed with them.

Reactions: Madea and foxl

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a heads up.... Rant follows...feel free to skip:D

Here's something else that really annoys me.... All the ignorant sheep posting fat hate messages afterwards...Here's one that is typical...

"There is no excuse for being FAT. Everyday I see FAT people eating potato chips !! What the **** is going on on this planet? WTH ??"

Sadly just a few months ago, that was me eating those potato chips... but even when I didn't and followed some pretty serious conventional diet guidelines...the weight didn't really budge...

I hate hate hate that people see being overweight as a cause and not a symptom of diseases...I truly believe that this is one reason why diabetes is such an UNDER DIAGNOSED disease...I felt unwell for over 2 years before I fronted a doctor because I felt like a such a big fat failure for being so overweight...I finally went when my gorgeous hubby put his foot down and demanded that I see a doctor as I couldn't get out of bed properly due to fatigue....

Then I went, got diagnosed...hid in denial for a few weeks :) (nice and warm under that rock!)...then tried the Diabetes Assoc diet...which failed me...but again I thought that I
had failed the diet.....Then I read and researched and turned everything I learned on it's head...Low carb, higher fat, eating to the meter...... and whaddya know? I'm dropping weight like there's no tomorrow...healthier and more energetic than I've ever been....

Why is it that if I am underweight it is seen as a SYMPTOM of some underlying disease?...You don't see people and doctors telling you to go and stuff your face....it's not classified most of the time as YOUR fault...it's a symptom of an illness...

However when I'm fat i'm totally stigmatised....I'm fat and lazy and what have I done to MYSELF....when diets don't work it's because I have failed not the diets fault....So many drs and dietitians treated me as a waste of space...

What a load of steaming you know what!!!!!! and I'm so tired of all the ignorance that surrounds weight and diabetes...I am tired of hearing that I 'let myself go' or 'can't stick to a diet'.....what another steaming load.... No one tried harder than me at dieting... no one wanted to get healthy and well more than me....

The thing that makes me even more angrysad is the fact that there is a million more MEs out there....who are slowly dying and won't see a doctor...won't challenge the conventional diabetes wisdom...and an entire diet industry that is geared towards people failing and in an evil stroke of genius marketing... it's never the diets fault... Always MY fault cos I don't want it enough...

Well I've had enough of studies like this....and people who don't have diabetes telling me how to manage it....and so many dietitians who dismiss me as not committed enough to be a sheep....

I refuse to be a victim of diabetes and the industry around it any longer... I will do what works for me and my body....I will take advice and make my own decisions...

Hmmmmm.... Rant over...

PS I may or may not be hormonal at the moment *LOL*:focus:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What I hate about these studies is they make assumptions that aren't necessarily true. I have read that when you eat high carb + high fat then you do change the chemical structure in the brain. The fat/carb combo affects the pleasure centers of the brain. There was an author several years ago, I think his name was
Dr Kessler. He wrote a book called "The end to overeating". He had been overweight all his life. His book concentrates on the addictive nature of what we eat and why it is so hard to change. He finally came to the conclusion it was the carbs that had to be limited , not the fats. I have to admit that I do eat a lot of fats, at least 20+ grams per meal. But I limit my carbs to 10-15 per meal. The fats actually help with my hunger cravings. It is only when you combine the fats and carbs like potato chips that the part of the brain that tells you to stop eating gets turned off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts