1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Butter is always better!

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is great!! Now I don't have to feel bad about being a smoker because the steak would have killed me anyway!!!

I'm over 65 so I can eat all the steak I want now if I move to a small village in Italy. Crap, now I've got to try and find my passport! I don't speak Italian. Does anybody know how to say " I'll take the Tbone,medium rare with lots of mushrooms. Hold the pasta I'm diabetic." in Italian?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Google translate says: Prendo la bistecca, mediamente cotta con un sacco di funghi. No di pasta sono diabetico.

Go forth and conquer!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Too much protein could lead to early death, study says - The Washington Post

Well, if you go low carb and low protein, whats left? Butter?
That's exactly what most of us need to do. What's left? Lots!

Butter
Olive oil
Eggs
Ribs
Lamb chops
Heavy Cream (finally! coffee tastes like coffee again)
Labneh or "Greek yogurt"
Olives
High-fat cheeses (MANY varieties available)
Cream cheese
Macadamia nuts
Pistachios
Small servings of green vegetables with LOTS of butter
Coconut oil
Ghee

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It's a fricken fracken RECALL study!!! Here is the abstract:

"Summary

Mice and humans with growth hormone receptor/IGF-1 deficiencies display major reductions in age-related diseases. Because protein restriction reduces GHR-IGF-1 activity, we examined links between protein intake and mortality. Respondents aged 50–65 reporting high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and a 4-fold increase in cancer death risk during the following 18 years. These associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived. Conversely, high protein intake was associated with reduced cancer and overall mortality in respondents over 65, but a 5-fold increase in diabetes mortality across all ages. Mouse studies confirmed the effect of high protein intake and GHR-IGF-1 signaling on the incidence and progression of breast and melanoma tumors, but also the detrimental effects of a low protein diet in the very old. These results suggest that low protein intake during middle age followed by moderate to high protein consumption in old adults may optimize healthspan and longevity."

I am an egg-swilling, cream gulping, butter licking VEGETARIAN, and here I am, arguing against this ... BS!!! Partly because, when I was eating near-vegan, I had enough IGF to grow a 13 cm FIBROID. What does this tell you?

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's a fricken fracken RECALL study!!! Here is the abstract:

"Summary

Mice and humans with growth hormone receptor/IGF-1 deficiencies display major reductions in age-related diseases. Because protein restriction reduces GHR-IGF-1 activity, we examined links between protein intake and mortality. Respondents aged 50–65 reporting high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and a 4-fold increase in cancer death risk during the following 18 years. These associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived. Conversely, high protein intake was associated with reduced cancer and overall mortality in respondents over 65, but a 5-fold increase in diabetes mortality across all ages. Mouse studies confirmed the effect of high protein intake and GHR-IGF-1 signaling on the incidence and progression of breast and melanoma tumors, but also the detrimental effects of a low protein diet in the very old. These results suggest that low protein intake during middle age followed by moderate to high protein consumption in old adults may optimize healthspan and longevity."

<b>I am an egg-swilling, cream gulping, butter licking VEGETARIAN, and here I am, arguing against this ... BS!!! Partly because, when I was eating near-vegan, I had enough IGF to grow a 13 cm FIBROID. What does this tell you?</b>
I absolutely LOVE that last part LOLOL

Furthermore, a big problem with these studies and with recall studies in particular is definition... what individuals consider "high protein" and what we do are often very different.. plus it doesn't mention what ELSE they were eating... a lot of people consider "meat and potatoes" to be one food! So high protein may also be high carb! I say we stick to the LCHF formula, which has NEVER been "high protein" but rather low carb, MODERATE protein, and high fat, meaning we don't eat steak three times a day, maybe once ;) Me, I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast with my bulletproof coffee, and have a hard time finding hunger enough for lunch, then a good dinner with about the same amount of meat as I ate BEFORE I went low carb, with some kind of cheese or sugar free sweet on the side.. I know I need green food, but I hate it heh. So I am not a good study for this woe, but it IS keeping my blood sugar at a manageable level and my tummy trouble, with the exception of the constipation caused by my meds, is about gone!! So im not changing anything! My mom just died at 61, and my dad died at 56 eating what the doctors told them to... im not leaving my kids that danged early, its too hard on the kid. I want my youngest to be in his sixties saying "why wont she just die already" before I kick the bucket... which means I will have to be...95 I think... yeah, that will work, hehehehe.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Where has Zoë been all my life?! :cool:
I've been a full-fledged FAN for a while now. Honest and intelligent scientists are such a refreshing change.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Why hemoglobin A1c is not a reliable marker
How reliable is A1C?
What y'all thing?
Shanny may have to move this topic to more appropriate thread.
Thanks a lot for posting this! I just recently discovered at least a 20 point spread between my real average BG and the "calculated" one derived from my latest A1C. It was great to read comments from others in my exact same position - right down to the exact numbers to one decimal place!

OK, so initial A1C was 10.7, lowest was 4.6 and latest was 5.7. Now the second two make perfect sense in the sense that BG went down rapidly but them RBC started living longer, so A1C drifted back up. The scary thing is wondering what that original 10.7 REALLY meant! (from the days of uncontrolled sugar and presumably very short RBC lifespans)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
But when you eat low carb, the body would use the protein and fat source for fuel no? I was curious about that, I've read about people getting protenuria(?) I think that is what it's called.
Actually, one of the most common causes of proteinuria is high blood sugar, not eating protein.

Proteinuria (Protein in Urine): Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

When you reduce carbs enough, fat becomes our source for fuel. Protein is kept at a moderate level, as high protein can also raise blood sugar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.