The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't let the dill pickle in this recipe fool you, this stuff tastes good. If you don't like dill pickles, you can substitute mushrooms or some other vegetable. You can pound the meat if you want a larger surface area to work with when you stuff and roll it, but I never do. The meat comes out tender, and this is one of our favorite main dishes.

STUFFED BEEF TIP STEAK (Rouladin)
4 servings

Approximately 2 pounds tip steak
prepared yellow mustard
2 strips bacon
1 medium sliced onion, separated into rings
1 dill pickle, cut in fourths lengthwise
1 can chicken broth

Cut meat into 4 serving size pieces. Thinly spread mustard on top of the meat. Set aside.
In a non-stick skillet, over medium-low heat, brown the bacon very lightly, remove from skillet, add the onion to the skillet and saute until done to your liking. On the narrow end of each piece of meat, place 1/2 strip of bacon, 1/4 of the onions and a dill pickle slice.
Roll up the meat tightly and secure with tooth picks.
Brown rouladen well on all sides in the bacon drippings.
Add the broth, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you RD! My husband loves rouladen & orders it every time we go to our favorite German restaurant! I've made it a time or two over the years, but couldn't top our friend at the restaurant. :eek: I'll try again with your tried & true recipe!

(and I'm DELIGHTED that you're finding your recipes that are diabetes-friendly!!! ;))

1 - 2 of 2 Posts