The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarrassed that I did an 'eyeball' recipe with no measured amounts, but it turned out pretty good and I'll keep 'tweaking', but I can give a full endorsement to using the crushed pork skins for this...

I parboiled two large green bell peppers with cuts in the bottoms. While they cooled, I then made this mix...

1/2 lb ground meat
1 cup finely crushed pork rinds
good dash of onion powder
a slight dash of garlic powder
a small dash of Worchestershire sauce
good dash of pepper, but no salt because of the salt in the rinds
1 egg

Mixed all this up and stuffed the peppers. Poured a small can tomato sauce over the top and a bit of water in the pan also. Tomato juice might have been better, but I had none on hand.

Baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Served with Italian flat beans and I was too lazy/hungry to wait any longer and they were very good!:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
you know, i don't think i would ever have considered pork rinds as an ingredient in anything in a million years. it sounds like an interesting replacement for the usual bread crumbs that would appear in this type of recipe

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used them as the filler for meatloaf and liked them, so that's what gave me the idea. Let me know what you think if you try it!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've never tried the pork rinds. When I do my stuffed peppers, I usually use a combo of ground beef, sausage, chopped mushrooms, onions and a little chopped pepper. The chopped mushrooms seem to bulk it up.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Green peppers don't agree with me, but I've always loved red, orange, and yellow ones. Since diabetes I stayed away from them except a small bit in salads.

But I just looked up the carbs, finally, and see they really aren't much greater than green - about 2 net carbs per pepper more. I'm stoked - that's worth it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts