The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made these last night before the Steeler Football game, they sure brought me some good luck. I made a very large batch to last a couple of days but they could easily be scaled back to accommodate a smaller amount. All veggies were finely chopped

3 lbs ground beef (I go for the low fat for this recipe)
3 large Zuchs
2 yellow squash
large bag of Spinach
1 onion
3 cloves Garlic,
1 cup Shredded Carrots
Large container of sliced mushrooms
16 oz of Cottage Cheese
Parmesan cheese
Mozz cheese shreds
Large jar of your fav low carb spaghetti sauce
3 eggs
As many peppers as it takes (8 for this recipe) 16 halves cut long ways and cleaned out.

I brown the meat and added all of the above ingredients except the cheeses, eggs, pasta sauce. Cleaned all of the peppers, cut them long ways in half and arranged them on a really large cookie sheet that had been greased with coconut oil. I then put a small amount of Parmesan cheese in the bottom

Turned the heat up to high and boiled off the moisture until the meat was frying in its on fat. I then added Paprika, Cumin, Thymne, Basil, salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes.

Removed from heat and transferred to a large bowl. I added the jar of pasta sauce, then the cottage cheese, a handful of parmesan cheese, and the 3 eggs after things cooled off a bit. Stirred and placed the mixture into the pepper shells. Baked at 350 for nearly an hour. 45 minutes in I removed and added a layer of Moz cheese on the top, put them back into the oven and let the moz cheese brown and crust over the peppers.

This is not a quick recipe, thats why I make a lot of them at a time, but they are wonderful.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gee, these sound wonderful! I take it you didn't parboil the peppers? Any idea as to carb count?
You can parboil the peppers, but I like them to be a little stiff when I take them out of the oven and not mushy. Only carbs that effect me is from the pasta sauce, which is 10g per cup net carbs I think. Other than that not much else their I need to worry about. But as always YMMV.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Stuffed peppers are always my go to meal. I get great bgs after too. Sometimes I will mix spicey sausage with the ground beef to spice it up. I don't parboil mine either.

Reactions: MCS
1 - 4 of 4 Posts