The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering what everyone uses in place of rice or pasta. Bread isn't a big deal (I like sandwiches on lettuce leaves, or meat & cheese on cucumber instead of crackers), & aside from Potato Salad, I've never been a big fan of potatoes (& I've had good luck substituting cauliflower for potatoes in my potato salad - next I'm going to try turnip!).

But I used to live off rice - I'd eat a heaping bowl at least 5 times a week - meat ALWAYS played a supporting role on my plate, & so did veggies. This is actually the hardest part of being diagnosed, is trying to figure out what to have instead of the foods that I'm not allowed.
I know I can have salads, but I'm not really sure what other side dishes I can have, as a lot of them center around things I'm no longer allowed. I'm trying to learn to eat cooked vegetables, but for the first 22-ish years of my life, I was an EXTREMELY picky eater, & would only eat corn, potatoes, & artichokes. I'll eat all sorts of veggies raw, but I still have trouble finding cooked ones that I enjoy.

Making casseroles seems like it's a thing of the past now, because I have no idea what I can use instead of rice or pasta.

So I'd love to hear how other people changed their diet & eating habits, especially people who used to eat a LOT of grains :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm just wondering what everyone uses in place of rice or pasta. Bread isn't a big deal (I like sandwiches on lettuce leaves, or meat & cheese on cucumber instead of crackers), & aside from Potato Salad, I've never been a big fan of potatoes (& I've had good luck substituting cauliflower for potatoes in my potato salad - next I'm going to try turnip!).

But I used to live off rice - I'd eat a heaping bowl at least 5 times a week - meat ALWAYS played a supporting role on my plate, & so did veggies. This is actually the hardest part of being diagnosed, is trying to figure out what to have instead of the foods that I'm not allowed.
I know I can have salads, but I'm not really sure what other side dishes I can have, as a lot of them center around things I'm no longer allowed. I'm trying to learn to eat cooked vegetables, but for the first 22-ish years of my life, I was an EXTREMELY picky eater, & would only eat corn, potatoes, & artichokes. I'll eat all sorts of veggies raw, but I still have trouble finding cooked ones that I enjoy.

Making casseroles seems like it's a thing of the past now, because I have no idea what I can use instead of rice or pasta.

So I'd love to hear how other people changed their diet & eating habits, especially people who used to eat a LOT of grains :)
I don't cook very much, but I know there are several receipes that you can use almond flour instead of regular flour.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Still haven't been able to replace our beloved brown rice, but have found reasonable substitutes for about everything else. And love those artichokes! All the high-fiber veggies are fine - asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage/kale, turnip/mustard/collard greens. How are you with avocados? I dearly love avocados & they're a diabetic's best friend! I eat them right out of the shell; 'course I add them to salads, garnish for omelets & make guacamolé too, but it's quicker to just halve them & eat 'em with a spoon! heheh!

For me, the Dreamfields pasta works well, but I never cook it the full designated time - in fact, I deduct two full minutes from the cooking time whenever I use it. Even then, be sure to check it out completely if you try it - it can spike you as long as twelve hours after the meal.

I also use a high-fiber low-carb tortilla wrap for many meals now, and I get a lot of mileage from Earthgrains thin buns (other brands market these too), although they can spike me a little more than the tortillas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm learning to like avocado - before now, the only time I had them was in sushi, & I have texture issues with my food - I can't stand anything creamy in my sushi, so I always thought I didn't like avocado

I made guacamole a few weeks ago & liked it, so I'm going to be trying more things with avocado in it :) I love trying new foods, so that helps

I haven't managed to find low carb tortillas yet, but I've only checked 2 stores. The town I live in doesn't have much of a selection when it comes to food options, but I'm going to keep looking :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
SUSHI! That's what I really mourn the loss of . . . I could sit down and eat an entire crunch roll all by myself! :( If I loved brown rice, I REALLY loved sticky rice!
O woe is me . . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found brown short grain rice, so I'm hoping that'll help me cure my Japanese cuisine addiction

(it's really sad - there's an all you can eat sushi restaurant that my boyfriend & I go to every few months... D:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm half tempted to go & try to eat so much that I'd make myself sick, but somehow I don't think it would work *LOL*

I'm thinking if I go there a couple times a year, & just be careful with everything else I put in, it shouldn't be too harmful (at least at first - right now my doctor is more concerned with me losing weight than he is about me eating a diabetic diet)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tell your doc that eating a diabetic diet (at least a low-carb diabetic diet!) will take the weight off in nothing flat! :D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
easy.....dont eat them! lol

but dont listen to me, im the freak around here :/ lol

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
as i said, im the freak around here lol

meaning, i simply do not eat. i know that i have to have to eat three times a day, and have to remind myself to do that! lol

Metformin is a hell of a drug

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have mixed results with Dreamfields, but Shiritaki noodles (made from yams) are fine. Takes a bit of getting used to, but now they're a staple for me. Have made "grits" with almond meal, but that needs some tweaking:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had delicious noodles once, & I think they were made from yams - they were Korean glass noodles, but I can't find them anywhere locally D:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello catmad! Welcome aboard . . . tell us more about yourself and some more of your secrets for managing your diabetes . . . then tell us about these cats too! :D Thank you for joining us . . . do visit often!

I have mixed results with Dreamfields, but Shiritaki noodles (made from yams) are fine. Takes a bit of getting used to, but now they're a staple for me. Have made "grits" with almond meal, but that needs some tweaking:)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not a fan of shiratake ...

I prefer spaghetti squash as my pasta substitute, and cauli rice, for my rice! You can grind up a whole raw cauli at once and freeze it in meal-size portions ... it makes an EXCELLENT pilaf!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I like all three - shiratake in chicken soup, spaghetti squash with any pasta sauce (or just by itself with some butter and parsley), and cauli rice for just about any rice dish or in place of couscous.

Jen

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use asian "Shirakake" noodles. They are vitually 0 carbs. I have to order them online. You can cut them in small pieces to resemble rice. Also I like spaghetti squash. Also some people buy a bag of coleslaw mix and stir fry it as a base for their sauces.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts