The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six months ago my husband's bg was out of control with an HbA1c a little over 9, so we embarked on a low-carb diet "experiment". The glucose meter became his best friend - every food was tested. We took a reading just before eating, an hour after, and 2 hours after. If a food raised his bg more than 40 points it was placed on the 'do not eat' list. If it raised it more than 25 points it was placed on the 'once in a while' list. Our diet (because I joined him on the same plan) became one of meat, cheese, nuts, green vegetables and natural fats (olive oil, coconut oil, butter). All starches were nixed along with (unfortunately) all fruit. While the studies I had read indicated that the increased fat intake would actually be healthy for us (despite current medical "wisdom" to the contrary), I still worried a little. My husband's lipid profiles of a year ago were not the greatest and I worried that this new diet I was advocating would exacerbate the situation. But.....my worries were unfounded!

This week my husband had his first blood work done since the new diet (6 months) and the news is great!

HbA1c was over 9 - now is 6.2
LDL has remained constant at about 110
HDL is up from 36 to 47
Triglycerides are down from 75 to 48
Meds are 500 mg of metformin twice a day.
Supplements include cinnamon, ubiquinol, magnesium, Vit D, Vit E, and a few others.

We are still tweaking the diet - trying to increase veggies even more, trying to get my husband to give up some of the processed meats he eats for snacks and lunch. His doctor was thrilled and impressed - said everything is going in the right direction, so keep on doing what we are doing. I'm hoping that in 6 months we will see an HbA1c that is below 6.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Great news ! It's amazing that you are taking you'r husband's success as your success as well. He is lucky to have you by his side.

Well done on the numbers

Tony

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
By the way how are you doing on your own numbers ?

Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great news ! It's amazing that you are taking you'r husband's success as your success as well. He is lucky to have you by his side.

Well done on the numbers

Tony

We've been married 32 years and I want him around for another 32! I've battled with weight issues for years and I know how hard it is to go it alone - so his diet is my diet. If I had known 30 years ago what I have learned in the past 6 months, our diet would have been very different, I would not have had to battle with weight, and we both would be a lot healthier. No point in looking back though - we're getting healthier everyday.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks, Roseanne, for coming back with the new numbers - that's fantastic! Now be sure to let us know your own when you get tested - I think you said you are pre-D, right? This has to be doing you a world of good too. It so cool to get the proof of this right in his own blood vessels - :D. Proof that refutes all the bureaucratic brainwashing done to us all these years. :cool:

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Hello,

You have created, what I'd say is compulsory reading for any new T2 joining up. I'm not saying this WILL work for everyone across the board. But reading through and trying what you have done will be worthwhile for any newbie.

Well done & keep it up !!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I haven't had any blood work done myself - next month, but every once in a while I test with a glucose meter. My fasting numbers are usually around 85 - 90.
Awesome !

Keep up the good (great) work !

Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,

You have created, what I'd say is compulsory reading for any new T2 joining up. I'm not saying this WILL work for everyone across the board. But reading through and trying what you have done will be worthwhile for any newbie.

Well done & keep it up !!!

Thanks for your encouragement - I wish every T2 would give this a try. I have friends who just are not at the stage of being willing to give up the carbs they are so addicted to and it makes me sad. They are more willing to put up with painful neuropathy than to buckle down and get to work changing their diet permanently.

What an improvement :) Well done, your husband is lucky to have such a supportive wife.
Well, I am blessed with a wonderful husband and, seeing as I am the researcher, shopper, and the cook, I don't think he would have gone all out like this without me. Now that I and the glucose meter have "educated" him concerning good vs harmful foods I think he would stick with this with or without me. (But I plan on it being with me. :) )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great News! I'll try your diet foods. They are meat, cheese, nuts, green vegetables and natural fats (olive oil, coconut oil, butter), right? Is there any additional foods or fruits now? Oh yeah, what kind of fruit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great News! I'll try your diet foods. They are meat, cheese, nuts, green vegetables and natural fats (olive oil, coconut oil, butter), right? Is there any additional foods or fruits now? Oh yeah, what kind of fruit?
Hi Warren,

Are you looking for a weight-loss diet or are trying to get blood sugar under control? Your profile indicates that you are "undiagnosed". Do you have reason to believe you are diabetic and if so, do you have a home blood glucose meter? If you don't - please get one right away and learn to test everything you eat. Read the articles on Blood Sugar 101 paying particular attention to the article entitled "How to lower your blood sugar."

In order to control my husband's blood sugar we are on a diet that allows any animal protein (fish, poultry, beef, eggs, cheese, etc.) although I believe that range/grass fed proteins are the best and practically mandatory when it comes to beef. The fats that are in your standard supermarket meats are not healthy in the least. In addition to pure protein sources we eat lots of the following vegetables: broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, leafy greens of all sorts, peppers, cucumbers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes (limited), carrots (limited), cabbage, avocado. We also eat nuts and nut butters (especially almonds, walnuts, and pecans.) When fats are needed for cooking or flavoring we use one of the following: butter (from grass-fed cows), coconut oil, or olive oil.

In general, we avoid fruit all together. We do hope to add some in but I'm sure it will only be in very small quantities at a time - they do cause his blood sugar to jump. Small quantities of berries are the best. We did test his blood sugar after eating a half of a pomegranate and it created only a modest rise.

Hope this helps.
RoseAnne

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Warren? Go to the Introductions board and start a new thread about yourself and whatever it is that brought you to our diabetes forum. If you think you're at risk for diabetes, let us know what you're doing to ward off the onset.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts