The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Maybe you should also discontinue the ginger ale.

Reactions: grammaB and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Artificial sweeteners can spike you too . . . they can be just as bad as sugar. You need to check it with your eat-to-your-meter technique. Are you practicing this, Tony?
* Test right before eating. Log the reading.
* Test again one hour after your first bite, and log the reading along with what and how much you ate. This is assumed to be about the highest peak - the spike - from the meal.
* Test a third time two hours after your first bite. This is hoped to show your blood sugar dropping back to roughly what it was before the meal. If it is, you're showing a good second phase insulin response. If it is not, you should continue testing until you find your blood sugar beginning to drop.

This can be used to test individual foods such as fruits and things you suspect are going to spike you

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
eat to meter

I just read a web site about eat to your meter right before I got this. It is a diabetes forum in the UK. But the example chart they have shows A1C level (like 5, 11, etc), not the sugar level I am used to (like 80, 120, 150). I thought A1C didn't really change in days, let alone hours as it is an indication of the last 3 months.

However, I can get the principal. Testing three times a meal though can use 9 strips a day. Not sure insurance will cover that. I have an ultra touch meter but I can also buy another one that uses cheaper test strips if I should do that much.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Walmart markets a decent line of meters under their ReliOn brand. All of them have cheaper strips, but the ReliOn Prime has the cheapest of all - 50 strips for $9.

Other chains like Walgreens, etc., have their own brands too, and they may well be competitively priced with ReliOn. Many of us here use ReliOn.

Insurance plans don't normally allow us enough strips anyhow, so may as well bite the bullet and go self-pay.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup... the Relion strips are $9.99 for 50. The ones my insurance provides are $25 out of my pocket AFTER the insurance pays their part. It's cheaper for me to just use the Walmart ones. ::Sigh::

Reactions: grammaB and Shanny

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
And are Relion reliable? I would imagine there are some brands out there that are poor quality and give bad readings if they work at all?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I just read a web site about eat to your meter right before I got this. It is a diabetes forum in the UK. But the example chart they have shows A1C level (like 5, 11, etc), not the sugar level I am used to (like 80, 120, 150). I thought A1C didn't really change in days, let alone hours as it is an indication of the last 3 months.
The UK uses the International standard for blood glucose measurements. The unit used is mmol per litre and it is 18.05 times larger than the US figure of mg/dL. So, 5 mmol/L is equivalent to 90, 11 is equivalent to 191.

HbA1c is also expressed in different units, so, for instance, my 5% would be reported in the UK as 31 mmol/mol. The conversion routine here is a bit messy, so don't worry about the detail here as most of the time, you'll see only percentage figures.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
ReliOn meters are as reliable as any other meter. All meters regardless of brand, meet the standard variation being 20% more or less. Your true level of 100 can be anywhere from 80 to 120. That's the approved variation. Surprised? Don't be.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When the snack table at my work stays too loaded for too long with carby contributions, I make a contribution myself. Flax crackers, cheese, salami, pork skins, etc.
Great idea. I'm thankful that there are only two in my office and my co worker eats very healthy. No snack tables for us. Salami is a food I happily welcomed back into my life, post diagnosis.

·
Registered
220 Posts
And are Relion reliable? I would imagine there are some brands out there that are poor quality and give bad readings if they work at all?
My insurance covers the Accuchek Nano. I have found that consecutive comparison readings using the Nano can vary a great deal: 115 to 124 to 108. Usually they are within 5 points of each other, but not always.

I haven't done a whole lot of comparisons with the Relion (I've been using it as a backup) but the other morning I did 3 in a row and got 101, 103, 104.

I have found the Relion reading somewhat lower than the Accuchek - but I think it's because I've been using the Relion when my other meter gives me crazy high numbers - seems as though humidity or heat is really messing with my strips on the Accuchek, and I need to be more careful in storing them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I can't explain this. Yesterday at 2 pm I jad a handful of Spanish peanuts. At 4.45 my level was 69. I didn't eat but went out for a long walk. When I came back it was like 92.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
A person's metabolism isn't a static thing. And there are many variables and processes that affect what we would see on our meters. The few we do know and track are carbs in and BG rise. Then there's the liver's role in all this which may, or may not, raise. How much insulin our bodies actually produce varies, also, affecting whether or not we get a rise out of a specific carb load. And exercise adds in another factor which can further affect our BG levels during and after.

One can never fully understand everything that happens. The best we can do is track trends and become well acquainted with how foods and exercise affect us individually - most of the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't explain this. Yesterday at 2 pm I jad a handful of Spanish peanuts. At 4.45 my level was 69. I didn't eat but went out for a long walk. When I came back it was like 92.
That's normal and could be due to liver dumping some glucose into bloodstream. BG levels are constantly changing even at rest and more so, if you are doing some physical activity.

Also, the accuracy for most meters is like +/- 20%. Depending on the metre, you can do two consecutive test and come up with 70 and 90 as the reading from the same blood sample. Have seen that happen couple of times, so usually I just take the average for recording purposes or test from another meter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
A person's metabolism isn't a static thing. And there are many variables and processes that affect what we would see on our meters. The few we do know and track are carbs in and BG rise. Then there's the liver's role in all this which may, or may not, raise. How much insulin our bodies actually produce varies, also, affecting whether or not we get a rise out of a specific carb load. And exercise adds in another factor which can further affect our BG levels during and after.

One can never fully understand everything that happens. The best we can do is track trends and become well acquainted with how foods and exercise affect us individually - most of the time
This should be on a billboard. It's going on my refrigerator for those odd frustrating numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Oy! So many strips ;-) I am looking into the Relion. I have read good and bad reviews of it, but that seems to happen for everything.
Exactly. I went to the Relion about a year ago - some vials seem to read higher than others. Which is the more accurate? - I certainly don't know - although I can guess based on what my A1C is. After having gone through puzzling higher numbers, and then then lower and more expected levels after opening a new vial, I'm not going to freak out anymore over this. (Same thing happened with the FreeStyleLite.)

I have to remind myself that these meters are WAY much better than my sister had for monitoring her BG - which was peeing on a litmus paper strip.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Yes, I am. And I don't have any plans to switch. It is what it is and I can work with it.

Of course, I've been doing this for about 5 years now and to tell you the truth, I don't need to test much anymore because I don't change much what I eat. Plus, I'm in ketosis and I have a meter for testing that - and ketosis trumps BG fluctuation to my way of thinking.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts